Buying an 03 WR450f. What do i need to look out for??

4 replies to this topic
  • lukey_muffler

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hi all.... I'm compleatly new to this site, but i'm hopeing you can help me out.
I'm looking to buy an 03 WR450f. I've had a look around and due to my budget and personal taste this is what i've decided to go with. I just finished reading up on the 03/04 stator conversion which was very educational but i was wondering what else i needed to look out for?? Being that the best advice i can get off my mates is that "it's a damn sexy bike", i was hopeing for a little more insight. The bike apperantly has about 10000 km on the clock and is very tidy indeed, actually i love it, but should this be love or lust??
I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

• Lcpl0331

Posted February 21, 2009 - 02:59 AM

As with any used dirt bike you should look at EVERYTHING. I usually go after the chain and sprockets(especially the front) and air filter first. If a guy can't take care of the easy stuff then he probably didn't take care of any of it. Also look at the oil. That's another telltale sign the guy was a bit slack with the upkeep.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zeak

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Engine noise. Do a search on it and there's a lot of info on possible causes. My bike is currently making a pinging/ringing sound under load with indicates piston slap. Maintenance make a huge difference in the longevity of the bike. Get into their maint. records if they kept them. I keep a log on all my bikes. Hope that helps.:lol:

• zedu

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:57 AM

electric start is a problem

• coloradobrad

Posted February 23, 2009 - 12:55 PM

electric start is a problem

Upgrade the starter gear to 2004 parts:

http://www.thumperta...347#post2604347

http://wr450.com/photos_frame_full.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.