98 WR400 Headlight

9 replies to this topic
  • gator4life108

Posted February 20, 2009 - 08:35 PM

I recently acquired a 98 WR400, there is currently no headlight on it, just a number plate. It does have a engine kill switch.

My question is, didnt all WR400's come with a headlight?

Can one be hooked up with ease. Anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks,

• acarter92

Posted February 21, 2009 - 04:26 AM

They all came with a headlight. I'm sure it was there at some point just that someone took it off. Meaning that the wiring is probably there. If the wiring is there just get a used one off of ebay.

Austin

• gator4life108

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:00 AM

I have checked up and down the entire frame and I can't find anything, thats what seemed so odd about it.

Thanks,

• gator4life108

Posted April 17, 2009 - 06:36 AM

So, still trying to figure out the wiring for this headlight.........there are no loose or cut wires that would make me think that there was ever a headlight on the bike.

Could someone tell me where the headlight would normally plug into? or wire into

Thanks,
Mike

• Birdy426

Posted April 17, 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yellow and black wires under the tank. 2 prong white plastic connector.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • speedcomm

Posted April 18, 2009 - 01:47 AM

Mine has a 3 wire plug. Yellow black and blue. The plug is on the main frame behind the petcock. This plug has hot power ( yellow wire ) from the stator/regulator, the headlight switch plugs into this plug, blue wire runs to the tail light, black is ground.

• gator4life108

Posted April 18, 2009 - 04:44 PM

Absolutely nothing.....Im starting to think that my bike is really a YZ, the guy that sold it to me said it was a WR.

It has all the characteristics of a YZ, but I have no way to tell.

• Birdy426

Posted April 19, 2009 - 10:01 PM

The muffler in your other post looks to be stock WR. 18 or 19 inch rear wheel? 18 is WR, 19 is YZ (though they can be swapped)...Does it have a voltage regulator on the L/H side of the steering stem (about a 2 x 3 inch box with fins on it)? If you pull the magneto cover (L/H side cover), is the flywheel a big ole thing that covers the coils (WR), or an internal rotor one that rotates inside the coils (YZ)?

• gator4life108

Posted April 20, 2009 - 05:47 AM

The muffler in your other post looks to be stock WR. 18 or 19 inch rear wheel? 18 is WR, 19 is YZ (though they can be swapped)...Does it have a voltage regulator on the L/H side of the steering stem (about a 2 x 3 inch box with fins on it)? If you pull the magneto cover (L/H side cover), is the flywheel a big ole thing that covers the coils (WR), or an internal rotor one that rotates inside the coils (YZ)?

Just checked the bike. It has a 19 inch wheel and no voltage regulator, no signs of one ever being there either.

Gotta go to work so didn't have time to pull the magneto cover.

• gator4life108

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:02 PM

Yep its a YZ, that makes things a lot easier.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.