ikat spark amplifier

4 replies to this topic
  • yz400fsmasher

Posted February 20, 2009 - 02:08 PM

anyone have one? how well do the work?

• mc1hd

Posted February 21, 2009 - 05:16 AM

I'm sure someone will say their great but I tend to think their another form of snakeoil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 21, 2009 - 05:31 AM

They are snake oil. Devices like this sort of work on a 2S if the plug is fouled. All they do is cause the spark energy to have to build more to be able to jump the gap in the device. This causes (or can cause) a increase in power because the spark is delayed slightly. They do zero for a 4S and certainly, at the price, a complete ripoff. The big risk is if the rise is too great, the spark can go where it is not wanted or even worse, not spark at all, cre4ating a voltage build up in the cdi, which can burn it out.

Save your money for important stuff like oil, tires and entry fees.

• stevenacarter77

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:30 AM

4stroke.com had a artical promoting it but i can no longer find it, i don't know why, they had their people test it on 450s i think, any way all of the riders that tested it said it was just like installing a big bore kit!! i would love to try one but i'm not willing to risk $200.00 bucks. i need some sponsors!! anybody interested let me know, i would test it at the drag strip where it could be measured.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2009 - 11:36 AM

They are effective on some bikes, but not others. They do nothing noticeable for the '03 or later YZF's because those bikes had upgraded ignitions already.

'02 and earlier, the spark tends to be a little marginal at starting speeds, so some help is achieved by using devices like this, but the only thing it will accomplish is easier starting. There is no power gain, regardless of what anyone says, and you may be just as well off to use an iridium spark plug to accomplish the same thing in effect.

Search the YZ250F forum for icat (possibly i-cat) and the user name wrooster. There's and old thread in there that tells how to build your own.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.