Fuel-oil mixture ratio ? 81 IT175

7 replies to this topic
  • percyco

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:13 AM

So I picked up a nice completely factory stock 1981 Yamaha IT175, I havent owned a 2-stroke in 30 years . What would be a proper fuel oil mixture for this vintage bike ? 32:1 ?

Thanks

Posted Image

• cleonard

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:22 AM

Yes 32:1 should work fine using a good quality modern two stroke oil. I would imagine that the bike's owners manual said something more like 20:1. However, the oils have improved a lot since 1981 so they lubricate a lot better than the old stuff.

By the way that bike is way too clean. It's a dirt bike. Get some dirt on it!

• percyco

Posted February 20, 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks, It will get dirty soon.....joined AHRMA, going to try some post vintage cross country .

• YZEtc

Posted February 21, 2009 - 04:33 AM

Wow.
If that's a recent photo, you got a nice bike. :lol:

Yes, Yamaha recommended their Yamalube R at a 20:1 ratio.
The formulation of Yamalube R was different back then.
The bike would probably be fine with a modern oil (like today's Yamalube R) at a more common 32:1, though you might have to do a minor rejet of the carb.

I used to own the same model, although the one I bought (around 1990) was a classic basket case and made a nice project.
I fixed it up to good condition and even did the Yamaha Wrench Report modifications that came out for the 1980 IT-175G (same model in blue and white color, basically).
The mods were aimed at adding low end power and torque while keeping the top end the same or stronger.
I bet that these bulletins (actual paper publications) can still be found at a Yamaha dealer that was around back then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • percyco

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:09 AM

Yes...I took that photo in the fall, I found it on Craigslist for $400.00. It was actually titled and on the road in the 80's in New York state and showed minimal wear. It had sat a long time and the fuel system was goop, straightened that out (new carb,lines and filter) along with a clean up,rear tire ,decals and a few other odds and ends.

I have it insured through the same company that does my antique cars . I am going to plate it as historical so I can zip down the road if the mood hits. Also planning on doing a couple of AHRMA post vintage cross country runs with it.

Thanks for the tip, I will look for the upgrade spec sheets .

• buzzard111

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:28 AM

really nice bike, im hoping my 79 yz will look kinda like that when i get white plastics for it.

• baseballpro3112

Posted February 21, 2009 - 02:04 PM

OH MY GOSH! Wow, you have a really nice bike. I use a 32:1 mix in all of my vintage bikes, and I haven't ever had a bit of trouble from any one of them. if you want to play it safe, stick to 20:1. Better safe than sorry...

• Motosprtman

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:34 PM

I run my 1976 MR250 at the recommended 20-1 even with the new oils.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.