my 'new' 99 yz400f

43 replies to this topic
  • travisn

Posted March 16, 2009 - 08:43 AM

Welp, first ride went ok. I looped it during a wheelie, I must have found a dry spot in the muddy field we were riding in, because it hooked and went over. Some how I didnt break the rear fender. Someone said it cart wheeled, lol. So I rode the rest of the day with half a front fender, no right rad guard, and no muffler cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the trails we went on still had snow/ice on the north facing sides, dirt bikes do not do good on snow and ice, ended up on my back atleast once and bent the brake lever. But I didnt snap it because I keep the levers kinda loose so they will just rotate :)

One of the first places we rode was a hare scramble kind of course, very tight and slow and MUDDY. The bike lost a lot of coolant during that.

When do you know the bike is too hot and risks over heating? the slow sections worry me.

This wont help with overheating in a slow spot, but I think these bikes should have one regardless:

Over flow tank:
Posted Image

hopefully this will help keep the coolant in the system so when it cools back down it will refill it self. I got really worried a few times, I really cant be overheating this motor.

Other than that it did really well. When I put a chain and sprocket on it I will go two up in the rear and/or one down in the front, I never needed any of the higher gears. And I kept feeling like I was going to burn my clutch out during those tight sections, I had to try extra hard to find spots where I could have the clutch all the way out.

The bike ran excellent and started first kick most of the time.

And I take back my pressure washing statement, there is no way I can avoid the pressure washer. Sure I wont point it at the bearings, but this thing had mud everywhere. especially around the front sprocket. I took the guard off to wash it. And after $5 at the car wash I still found mud when I got home. lol.

Next weekend its NEMX, hopefully I can be un-sore by then.

• Mark Grant

Posted June 08, 2009 - 09:25 PM

Next weekend its NEMX, hopefully I can be un-sore by then.

So, where's the update buddy???!!!!:thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzgrizz

Posted June 09, 2009 - 03:27 PM

At autozone I always buy Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic 10w-40, I think it's the best oil they sell for a YZF

Keep up the good work

2nd the Mobil 1 racing T4, we have been running it for years and have not had any problems.

• travisn

Posted June 15, 2009 - 03:09 PM

update: I went to area 51 like 3 times, ran into some money trouble and had to sell it.

I sold it for 950 and the kid just put piston and rings in it. I was up till 5am on sunday helping him put it together. lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.