my 'new' 99 yz400f

43 replies to this topic
  • travisn

Posted February 19, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Here are some pictures of my new ride. I have yet to ride it since I bought it. Sort of cold out and my helmet is 2 hours away...

from the CL ad
Posted Image
Posted Image

At home on the front porch:
Posted Image

I read that a choke lever that doesnt stay out can be replaced by unscrewing?

and, what is wrong with my hotstart button?
Posted Image

I think the shock flap roller goes here of the frame, how important is that?
Posted Image

It was on its side for a bit, as seen here. How much more quieter is the stock than this exhaust? I really dont like loud bikes and I am thinking of switching back if I wont lose too much powah
Posted Image

not too much to say with this picture...
is it ok that my rear reservoir is zip tied on? I think so...
Posted Image

How sweet is my cf skid plate?
Posted Image

yea its rough, it has white fenders (the blue ones are shot), but it runs great and apparently has been taken care of, besides the plastics. A buddy of mine and I are planning on going to the indoor MX track in Ohio in 2-3 weeks. $25 for all day. http://www.nemx.webpointusa.com/ Ill probably post up in the rides section. I live inbetween Rochester and Buffalo NY and my buddy lives down by Jamestown.

I feel shameful how dirty it is, I promise next winter it will get a tear down and rebuild real pretty...

I really dont plan on doing any modding besides maintenance and repair work. hopefully I can get through this season with out needing too much.

It already has renthal twin wall bars, new clutch-10 hours on it, new timing chain, fresh valve job, nearly new tires, new gold D.I.D. chain, new sprockets, new brakes front and back, FMF power core 4 exhaust.

Any comments/suggestions definitely appreciated

• rdefonce

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:28 AM

Man that proves those bikes are tough, with what your ride went thru.:-o
Have fun with her!

• 400f mech

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:57 PM

hey, i have a 98 400f and love it, you should be able to almost keep up with the new 450's, and i wouldnt worry about the hot start being broken, i dont ever use it, and one suggestion i have is getting an auto decompression exhaust cam and the decomp plug, so much easier to start. good luck with the bike and have fun

• FinchFan194

Posted February 20, 2009 - 08:55 PM

Is this a joke? that bike looks like it roamed with dinosaurs!

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:01 PM

"but it runs great and apparently has been taken care of"

Okay it may run great, but am I missing something on that last part? There is no way in hell someone can tell me that bike has been taken care of.:lol:

• FinchFan194

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:02 PM

Is this a joke? that bike looks like it roamed with dinosaurs!

Ok so I am not trying to be a jerk if its not a joke I am not trying to bag on your bike its just kinda rough. I have seen posts like this before where someone is screwing around. Your remarks on the pix seem a little sarcastic, if not once again I am sorry.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:04 PM

"but it runs great and apparently has been taken care of"

Okay it may run great, but am I missing something on that last part? There is no way in hell someone can tell me that bike has been taken care of.:lol:

Thank you that is why I thought it was a joke Gray.

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:10 PM

Out of curiosity, what was the sale price?

• travisn

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:36 AM

Alright, when I said taken care of I meant that it had the usual maintenance stuff done, I never said it was pretty, lol. Taking care of it and riding it hard are too different things. You can have a bike that is all shiny and new but has never had a wrench touch it. Ya know what I mean?

I got it for 1350. the guy advertised it as 1400. I drove 2 hours to Cortland NY to get it, so I figure the guy new I wasn't going to go home with nothing. He barely budged.

Any word on how to get the choke to stay out?

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:10 AM

Yeah I agree with you travisn about the riding hard part. But usually if someone takes care of their bike maitanence wise they usually clean it often and prevent rust also. I wouldn't trust someone that told me "I have taken good care of it and done all the necessary maitanence" if the bike looked like that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NortonMoto

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Thats about 800.00 bike, It needs alot of TLC And I hope you don't any other problems.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2009 - 11:50 AM

Any word on how to get the choke to stay out?

Replace the choke plunger assembly.

• travisn

Posted February 21, 2009 - 01:38 PM

Replace the choke plunger assembly.

#35?
http://shop.thumpert...=1999&model=903

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:03 PM

That's it.

• shambles

Posted February 21, 2009 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I agree with you travisn about the riding hard part. But usually if someone takes care of their bike maitanence wise they usually clean it often and prevent rust also. I wouldn't trust someone that told me "I have taken good care of it and done all the necessary maitanence" if the bike looked like that.

I would have to aggree with you. At least tear down and check the bearings and regrease / replace all the usual ones. wheels, swingarm, strut etc.

It will only take 4 or five hours. Much better than it seizing or breaking

Good luck

• travisn

Posted February 21, 2009 - 05:09 PM

I would have to aggree with you. At least tear down and check the bearings and regrease / replace all the usual ones. wheels, swingarm, strut etc.

It will only take 4 or five hours. Much better than it seizing or breaking

Good luck

Yea, I probably should. Do these have metal hg's? Should I take the head off and check the cylinder? I can check the valves/timing chain while I am at it.

Which manual should I get that will have all the torque specs and clearances? Clymer, Haynes, or the factory service manual? Which one will have the most information? (ebay, shipped: 46.50, 35.69, 19.99, respectively)

Haynes: http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Clymer: http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

FSM: http://cgi.ebay.com/...lsQ5fLiterature

or an electronic copy: http://cgi.ebay.com/...lsQ5fLiterature seems like a good idea, only print whats necessary, always have clean pages. etc. I might put an old desktop in the garage for this purpose...

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 21, 2009 - 06:48 PM

I would get a factory yamaha service manual. I have one and also a clymer. Most everything is the same but there are some differences. First off the factory is year specific and the clymer covers from 98-02 yz and wr. Also I just replaced the piston on my bike and both manuals have different places for the end gap position of the piston rings. I am going to trust the yamaha manual on that one and I followed it's pattern. I kind of like having both because you can never have enough information.

• travisn

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:46 PM

Dug into the suspension tonight to find this jewel:

Posted Image

I assume this has never been apart in 10 years... the needles in the other hole just fell out, no lube to be found...
Posted Image

I couldnt get the rest of the needles out for the life of me, what do I do? Can I buy new races and everything? edit: I checked the parts catalog and there arent races. Sounds like I'll have to heat everything up and buy new bearings and seals? can/should I take the seals out and reuse them?

Why is #7 a bearing? http://shop.thumpert...=1999&model=903

It doesnt make any sense

Posted Image

Otherwise its all apart. The head tube bearings are good. I got most of the grime out with carb cleaner, no air compressor so it will have to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whats the deal with the bearings in the actual swing arm itself? It appears to be 4 individual cage/needle bearings like the ones in the other piece, but I am not sure.

I am going to NEMX next weekend and it needs to be in semi decent shape...

• spc mike

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:57 PM

I think All Balls makes a linkage bearing kit as well as swing arm bearing kit, and as far as i remember the swind arm has four seperate races and bearing sets.

oh btw.... tell me you didn't have any trouble getting the swing arm bolt out with all that rust??:lol:

• travisn

Posted February 28, 2009 - 12:03 AM

ehh, it wasnt that hard. I didnt have to leave the room or anything. lol

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.