06 WR450 Mods

10 replies to this topic
  • Tonyf6188

Posted February 19, 2009 - 05:38 AM

I am new to this forum and the WR! I have a few questions. If I do the mods to the new bike (Air box cut out, AIS removal, Baffle removal, Throttle stop screw, Grey wire disconnect) will I have to re-jet the bike for it to run properly and be dependable?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2009 - 06:31 AM

I am new to this forum and the WR! I have a few questions. If I do the mods to the new bike (Air box cut out, AIS removal, Baffle removal, Throttle stop screw, Grey wire disconnect) will I have to re-jet the bike for it to run properly and be dependable?

Yes. If you introduce more air (airbox mod, pipe mod) you will make the engine run leaner. It already comes too lean from the factory. Buy a jetting kit (JD) and learn about the Accelerator pump mods too.

• Zadok

Posted February 19, 2009 - 06:45 AM

No offense to anyone, you have to learn somewhere.
But Im still really amazed at how many times this same
question comes up. Guess it just seems that riders would
understand that more air in, and more air out would
require more fuel to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio.

I think its time we all get Closed Loop EFI systems that
will self adjust to the changes.....:lol:

• Tonyf6188

Posted February 19, 2009 - 09:19 AM

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my question. What I meant to ask is am I going to have to re-jet the carb other than the new jets that come with the AIS removal kit. From what I am told it comes with everything you need including all the new jets needed. Maybe that is a little more direct question.

• KennyMc

Posted February 19, 2009 - 09:41 AM

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my question. What I meant to ask is am I going to have to re-jet the carb other than the new jets that come with the AIS removal kit. From what I am told it comes with everything you need including all the new jets needed. Maybe that is a little more direct question.

Check out the post by Indy WR450 for jetting specs. I believe the AIS removal jet that comes with the kit is a 170. From all I have read, this is too rich. I used the AIS removal kit but also got the JDJetting kit to handle the jetting. I went with the 168 main and 48 pilot and the other jets that came with the JD kit.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buspilot

Posted February 19, 2009 - 11:23 PM

Check out the post by Indy WR450 for jetting specs. I believe the AIS removal jet that comes with the kit is a 170. From all I have read, this is too rich. I used the AIS removal kit but also got the JDJetting kit to handle the jetting. I went with the 168 main and 48 pilot and the other jets that came with the JD kit.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240

I just did this modifications 2 weeks ago and turned out with a 170 main and 48 pilot. Here are the results:

Posted Image

• hillclimbguy

Posted February 20, 2009 - 07:56 AM

I just pulled out that airbox venturi. Did notice a difference.

• dougEfresh223

Posted February 20, 2009 - 11:37 PM

whats that 37hp?

• NortonMoto

Posted February 21, 2009 - 09:41 AM

Do you have before and after dyno?

• Tonyf6188

Posted February 25, 2009 - 04:19 AM

Now that I have done all of the mods I am having two issues. (1) I still have the bog with a whack of the throttle and (2) after riding for several minutes and cranking on the throttle alot, the bike idles really high. If I put in a lower gear, let off the clutch, and then re-engage the clutch, the high idle goes away but comes back later if I allow the bike to stay idling. It does not do this until I have ridden a little while. From a cold start it idles fine and does not do that even when it starts to get really hot. I now have the JD kit and will install along with a 40 Leak jet. What else can I do to fix these two problems?

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted February 25, 2009 - 08:20 AM

tony, adjust your accellerator pump if you havnt. this makes a huge difference.
i also went with lower gearing in the front to make it snappier.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.