buying a left over 08 next week

29 replies to this topic
  • WILLIAMS37

Posted February 26, 2009 - 06:53 PM

another :lol: for the fofiddy.i'm about your size and weight and just bought a 450f and have had several 250f's also but honestly the newer 450's are within pounds of the older 250's. even on the east coast really tight and technical riding they are much more manageable.....hill climb?what hillclimb :worthy: it's always alot easier and cheaper to tame a 450 down versus hopping a 250 up.you won't regret the 450,especially for only 400 more bucks.....

Taming the 08 Yz450f is pretty simple... Just keep the stock shorty pipe on it and you have one very tame 450.

• husqy360

Posted February 26, 2009 - 07:29 PM

I would like to see you bench press an awkwardly sized object like a 450 dirtbike. Are you serious? That just sounded strange to me. And you are talking about minimizing risks? I want to see that bench press, I think you need to post some pics!

lol practice make perfect.
and ya i wana see that 2.

• Blaster21996

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:21 AM

I would like to see you bench press an awkwardly sized object like a 450 dirtbike. Are you serious? That just sounded strange to me. And you are talking about minimizing risks? I want to see that bench press, I think you need to post some pics!

:lol: :worthy: Yea, that would look funny, but, thats not my point, my point is a 250lb dirt bike is not a struggle for me to manhandle. It would be difficult to actually pull off because of it's awkward shape as you point out, but the weight would not be a challenge. that was my point...

• Blaster21996

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:23 AM

Taming the 08 Yz450f is pretty simple... Just keep the stock shorty pipe on it and you have one very tame 450.

You are right. I have ridden a stock 07 450F, and I must say, it is tame compared to the SNAP of the 06! Has anyone else noticed that?

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted February 27, 2009 - 05:02 AM

:lol: :worthy: Yea, that would look funny, but, thats not my point, my point is a 250lb dirt bike is not a struggle for me to manhandle. It would be difficult to actually pull off because of it's awkward shape as you point out, but the weight would not be a challenge. that was my point...

Yeah me too, I grew up riding big bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:50 AM

You are right. I have ridden a stock 07 450F, and I must say, it is tame compared to the SNAP of the 06! Has anyone else noticed that?

That is exactly what everyone was saying about the '06 vs. the '04. :lol:

• Carl2009

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:59 AM

I just just switched from a 01 WR250 to a new 08 YZ450 and Weds ride made it perfectly clear there is a rather steep learning curve there but I would'nt trade my 450 for anything.

• Blaster21996

Posted February 27, 2009 - 10:59 PM

That is exactly what everyone was saying about the '06 vs. the '04. :lol:

I can only figure they are moving from a 2 stroke power output to a more linear output? Because my buddies 07 does not resemble my 06 at all in throttle response... I can't explain it!

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Throttle response, or torque output in the lower and mid ranges? Throttle response refers only to the engine's ability to answer the throttle cleanly without stumbling or bogging.

The '07 has a slightly different cam profile and lobe centering along with a different timing curve, all designed to reduce torque to a level that's manageable without a lot of effort while increasing the peak power. The effort was successful on both counts. When the '07 was tested against other bikes by most of the mags, most of them complained that the engine disappointed them, and then proceeded to turn their best lap times on the Yamaha. The suspension is good, but is it that good?

If you do something other than MX, and want more grunt, or just want more grunt, an '06 exhaust cam will provide some. An MSD or Vortex ignition will help with whatever is missing. But you'll loose up to one HP of peak power.

• Blaster21996

Posted February 28, 2009 - 12:37 AM

Throttle response, or torque output in the lower and mid ranges? Throttle response refers only to the engine's ability to answer the throttle cleanly without stumbling or bogging.

The '07 has a slightly different cam profile and lobe centering along with a different timing curve, all designed to reduce torque to a level that's manageable without a lot of effort while increasing the peak power. The effort was successful on both counts. When the '07 was tested against other bikes by most of the mags, most of them complained that the engine disappointed them, and then proceeded to turn their best lap times on the Yamaha. The suspension is good, but is it that good?

If you do something other than MX, and want more grunt, or just want more grunt, an '06 exhaust cam will provide some. An MSD or Vortex ignition will help with whatever is missing. But you'll loose up to one HP of peak power.

I'm looking for ways to calm the initial repose down on my 06, I have been working with the G3 throttle tube to extend the amount of throttle range. I would much rather move my low end explosion to the top end of the rev to make my roll on throttle more controllable when looking to hop through a rhythm section.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.