01 426 power now valve ?

6 replies to this topic
  • Yzf_Buz

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:10 PM

Over the winter I picked up a '01 426 in a trade and am new to thumpers and am just about to go ride it and have found a power now valve for $40 is this thing really worth putting in my bike? I will be riding mainly woods and trails not really a track guy but you never know. I am stoked to have a new woods weapon

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:33 PM

No. :lol:

• Brandon Meidam

Posted February 23, 2009 - 09:21 AM

I have a 2001 426 with a power now valve and it works great for trail riding. $40.00 is a great deal. You should also do the 420 accelerator pump upgrade and install a zip tie adjustable air fuel mixture screw. These things will all help get rid of the 426 bog.

Brandon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:18 PM

You should also do the 420 accelerator pump upgrade and install a zip tie adjustable air fuel mixture screw. These things will all help get rid of the 426 bog.
Brandon

Any info on this "420 accelerator pump ugrade". Or is this the same as the "AP mod" described here at TT?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2009 - 07:39 AM

Any info on this "420 accelerator pump ugrade". Or is this the same as the "AP mod" described here at TT?

There are different AP modifications for different models, and the 426 and 450's that have bog issues have them for different reasons. The O-ring mod, etc., don't apply to the 426.

The BK mod does, however, and is said to help a lot. There's a link in the Common Threads sticky under Fuel System.

As far as the Power Now device on a 426, it's a waste of money, IMO. The intent of the device is to improve poor throttle response at low speed in engines with very large carbs and aggressive valve timing. They do help the low speed performance of a 250F noticeably, but the 426 can be "cured" without the expense, and really does not benefit much from it.

• DrThumper

Posted February 24, 2009 - 11:12 AM

I have the Power Now and it improved my throttle response from closed to 1/2 open. I have a '00 426. That and the Factory R&D P-38 Accelerator Pump Cover (Boyeson sells them too), really cleaned up that Yamabog the earlier models have.

You can make a Power Now yourself, search TT for the Free Power Now. All you need is an aluminum can, a small file and some epoxy. You can actually make one much better than the commercial one, you can make yours with much tighter tolerances to the slide.

• yz400fsmasher

Posted February 24, 2009 - 01:18 PM

idk if i would try making my own power now valve just to prevent peices being sucked into my engine:bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.