Ball bearing mod.

1 reply to this topic
  • slinger09

Posted February 18, 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hey,

I just bought an 08 450 a couple weeks ago and have been doing lots of research on mods and newbike setup. I was just wondering how many of you out there have drilled out the drain hole and installed the ball bearing? Any things to watch out for? Also has anyone tried any alternative solutions? How about JB weld?

Thanx...Jas

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:24 PM

How about JB weld?

How 'bout NOT! [IMG]http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:dTe6KcyQkaeTKM:http://disney-clipart.com/mickey-mouse/mickey-mouse/mickey-mouse-10.jpg[/IMG]

I did both mine, of course, and since then, the lower bolt runs in and out freely with my fingers, just like the other two.

It's always best to do this sort of thing with the cover off the bike. I did the first one that way, since it was off anyway. But the second one I did in place.

As mentioned later in the thread, you can protect the oil passages from contamination by taping over the main feed port (the larger hole inside the well), and the feed passage to the crank, located to the left of the lower bolt hole. For the threaded hole itself, grease a Q-Tip and thread it in until it closes of the drain passage. After running the drill in just far enough for the ball to fit, sweep out what chips you're able to with another greased swab before unscrewing the one you put in the threads.

If you run the drill clear down the length of the hole, it's not a real problem. The swab will keep the drill from dinging the threads, and the ball can't migrate downward anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.