Engine Braking

10 replies to this topic
  • S_Phillips

Posted August 01, 2002 - 04:55 AM

If I YZ time my WR will that get rid of a lot of the engine braking?

Any other advice on how to ease up the engine braking would be nice.

• BBD

Posted August 01, 2002 - 06:01 AM

Nope. The only ways to significantly reduce engine braking are:

1) Smaller displacement
2) Less compression
3) Slipper clutch (I think the Rev-Loc might qualify)

• S_Phillips

Posted August 01, 2002 - 08:19 AM

darn, i rode a friends YZ 426 and it didn't have near the engine braking. So assumed it was in the timing.............

• 98yz

Posted August 01, 2002 - 11:09 AM

Use the FORCE (engine braking) make it your friend. It can help you stop much quicker when going into a turn faster. How's the CR these days?

• Dan_from_HB

Posted August 01, 2002 - 03:49 PM

My experience is that it didn't change at all when I changed timing. Two things come to mind:
1. Has your friend added flywheel weight?
2. His idle may be slightly higher than yours.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • S_Phillips

Posted August 02, 2002 - 04:08 AM

98YZ - The CR is ripping!! Love the susp. job :)
I should be bringing the WR over soon to get it susp. done.

Dan From HB - Honestly 98YZ himself would be the one to answer that it was his bike i rode a coulple months ago.

• 98yz

Posted August 06, 2002 - 04:11 AM

Flywheel weight - NO
Idle higher - yes slightly

I think the main difference is the gearing in the trasmissions. As long as I kept the WR in third and fourth it felt comparable to the YZ minus a little snap. If I ever messed up and downshifted all the way to second, holy crap I was hanging out over the bars because it slowed down so quick.

• S_Phillips

Posted August 06, 2002 - 10:35 AM

Thanks guys gonna try out the higher idle idea :)

• RLucky82

Posted August 06, 2002 - 02:42 PM

reduce engine breaking by upshifting. ..."If I ever messed up and downshifted all the way to second, holy crap I was hanging out over the bars because it slowed down so quick." that statement is true.
engine breaking is my friend, especially on downhill offcamber turns!

• Mark_UK

Posted August 07, 2002 - 07:20 AM

the only reason i havent brough a CRF is it girly lack of engine breaking :)

• S_Phillips

Posted August 07, 2002 - 11:48 AM

growing up with only 2 stroke MX it is a quality I appreciated and miss today.

It's hard to explain but here goes:

When I'm blasting a down hill in 3rd dropping the throttle is like braking. So I give a little throttle to help keep front end out of the soil. If bumping up a gear "usually to fast for that track" the front wheel buries causing that washout feeling. Not to mention dropping that gear in the corner just below. bla-bla.....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.