06 yz450f found intake cam 1 tooth off from factory

7 replies to this topic
  • wellsy1

Posted February 17, 2009 - 09:17 PM

06 yz450f I went to do my first valve adjustment noticed the timing mark was off 1 tooth on the intake cam from the factory. When i put it back together I set it back to where it should be. It was like a brand knew bike, with way more horsepower. Did they retard it on purpose? Or am i the only one this has happened to? If you notice it you should try it!!!!!!!!!

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 17, 2009 - 10:32 PM

06 yz450f I went to do my first valve adjustment noticed the timing mark was off 1 tooth on the intake cam from the factory. When i put it back together I set it back to where it should be. It was like a brand knew bike, with way more horsepower. Did they retard it on purpose? Or am i the only one this has happened to? If you notice it you should try it!!!!!!!!!

It was not set that way unless by mechanical error. Or, in my opinion, your cam chain jumped a tooth from being too warn. I would replace the cam chain and check the tensioner. It has been happening a lot to people on the forums and some have had catastrophic failure due to piston valve contact.

• wellsy1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 07:25 AM

I know thats what i thought. But its been two years now, with same chain and tentioner, I've even got aftermarket valves, and have not had any more problems. It must have been an error. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2009 - 07:31 AM

OK, I'm perplexed. If you've had aftermarket valves installed, why the heck would you think the factory timed your cam wrong when someone else has had it apart?

Besides, after two years, if the cam actually was retarded one tooth, it probably slipped on it's own due to a worn chain or a seizure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wellsy1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 08:03 AM

sorry. I installed the valves only six months ago. But still running stock timing chain, and have had no problems. It was on the first vavle adjustment that we noticed the timing marks were off, from the factory, with all stock valves, springs, etc.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 18, 2009 - 08:21 AM

sorry. I installed the valves only six months ago. But still running stock timing chain, and have had no problems. It was on the first vavle adjustment that we noticed the timing marks were off, from the factory, with all stock valves, springs, etc.

so why bring it up now when it happend 6 months ago?

• wellsy1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 08:29 AM

Because I just joined thumper talk yesterday, and this problem has been bugging me for ever.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 18, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Because I just joined thumper talk yesterday, and this problem has been bugging me for ever.

true well welcome, your never going to get off your computer now:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.