What can I expect from the stock battery?

14 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:01 PM

When jetting the bike, I had tried to start a poorly jetting bike, and noticed that the battery, fresh from overnight charging, would spin the starter for about 20 seconds before becoming weak. Wait a few minutes, and there was maybe 5 seconds of juice left for the starter.
When the bike runs great, I only need 1 or 2 seconds to start, but I don't want to be stranded with only 20 seconds of battery life for the starter.

What should I expect? Time for a new battery??

• William1

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:13 PM

Sounds like it. Mine will crank for what seems like forever.

Battery life has a lot to do with how it is prepped initally (carefully filled, slow inital charge) and then if it is kept maintained (battery tender if the bike is going to sit more than a week or two, and stored in a non-frezing environment.)

A lot of times, when a bike is bought off the dealer floor, the battery may of been sitting in the bike for weeks, even months, slowly discharging. Then when the bike is bought, a big quick charge is dumped in it. All bad.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like it. Mine will crank for what seems like forever.

Battery life has a lot to do with how it is prepped initally (carefully filled, slow inital charge) and then if it is kept maintained (battery tender if the bike is going to sit more than a week or two, and stored in a non-frezing environment.)

A lot of times, when a bike is bought off the dealer floor, the battery may of been sitting in the bike for weeks, even months, slowly discharging. Then when the bike is bought, a big quick charge is dumped in it. All bad.

Sage advice. I'm buy'in a new one. Who deals?

• brad the best

Posted February 17, 2009 - 08:05 PM

i have a yuasa , that baby seems to never die .

• farkawi

Posted February 17, 2009 - 11:13 PM

Mine's the stock Yuasa that came in the bike. I took delivery of my '05 model in November of '04. It still works fine. Battery Tender! Get one! Save $$$

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 18, 2009 - 12:31 AM

Mine's the stock Yuasa that came in the bike. I took delivery of my '05 model in November of '04. It still works fine. Battery Tender! Get one! Save $$$

I have a battery tender, and a pigtail, for all of my bikes. The battery is too far gone. I just wanted to know if the type YTZ67S stock battery was a decent type or not.

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 03:59 AM

Yup, stock Yuasa is the battery to get. All of the off brands do not seem to have the same longevity. You can try one of the ultra lightweight batteries but you loose a lot of capacity. They are really for racing.

When you get you battery, most are shipped dry and come with an acid pak. Do not let the dealer prep it. Fill according to the instructions. Let the battery sit for an hour with the filling flute on. Get a real small trickle charger, typically about .75 amp, charge 24 hours. Take the battery off charge, let sit for one hour, test and confirm full, correct voltage. Doing it this way you will get at a minimum three years of use. I have often gotten over eight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 18, 2009 - 06:36 AM

Yup, stock Yuasa is the battery to get. All of the off brands do not seem to have the same longevity. You can try one of the ultra lightweight batteries but you loose a lot of capacity. They are really for racing.

When you get you battery, most are shipped dry and come with an acid pak. Do not let the dealer prep it. Fill according to the instructions. Let the battery sit for an hour with the filling flute on. Get a real small trickle charger, typically about .75 amp, charge 24 hours. Take the battery off charge, let sit for one hour, test and confirm full, correct voltage. Doing it this way you will get at a minimum three years of use. I have often gotten over eight.

That should be a stickie, Mr Moderator!

Thanks

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 07:26 AM

Moderator?

I an't no stinkin' moderator!

• 2DTrail

Posted February 18, 2009 - 09:11 AM

On the battery subject, what does the battery serve on a wr450f (mine's an 06)? Is it just the e-start or are there other things that work off it?

• RedBull420

Posted February 18, 2009 - 10:06 AM

Some battery info for you... http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=743306

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 10:49 AM

On the battery subject, what does the battery serve on a wr450f (mine's an 06)? Is it just the e-start or are there other things that work off it?

E-start
Tail light
CDI (YZ's are AC)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 18, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Moderator?

I an't no stinkin' moderator!

Well obviously I wasn't talking to you; I used the word Mr. after all.:lol:

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Well obviously I wasn't talking to you; I used the word Mr. after all.:lol:

Ah, missed the 'Mr.' part, my bad! :worthy:

• jonnytmoto

Posted February 18, 2009 - 07:11 PM

My '03 WR450 battery lasted 5 years. NO maintenance!!! It survived freezing in the winter with occasional rides and then the abuse in the summer. But alas time for a new one. If I had taken care of it I wonder if it would of lasted longer...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.