'00 Carb. question

4 replies to this topic
  • Usedup

Posted February 17, 2009 - 05:07 PM

A little background. I bought a '00 WR400 that had not run in 12-18 months. After picking up a tank thanks to this site and doing the free mods. I'm having an odd problem. I've had to remove and clean carb. two times and now bike only wants to start w/o the choke. Usually with a gummed up carb. it's right the opposite; will only run with choke on. I did change jet from 158 to 160 but can't see that making a difference in starting. Thanks for any advice/input.

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 04:00 AM

Your float needle valve is leaking or your float height is too high.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Usedup

Posted February 18, 2009 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reply. Since it started out of the blue, I'm kinda ruling out the float level being off. With the price of the needle valve I'm going to have to be sure. Since I'm pulling the carb for the umptenth time, how about I hook carb on the side of the bike with bowl removed? My thinking; I can hold floats up and check for leak. Feel free to shoot holes. At least I have become expert on carb removal.

• William1

Posted February 18, 2009 - 10:53 AM

No, that is decent logic. Compressed air works too (set the reg. to about 5 psi). Less messy.

Pulling a carb is good for you. Builds character

• Usedup

Posted February 18, 2009 - 11:45 AM

If removing carb builds character, this 'Ole country boy is 'bout ready to move to Vatican City. Thanks for the input.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.