Just got my '03 WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • jerejuly

Posted February 17, 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hi,
Had a KLX400sr before but wanted something more "dirt oriented".
Everything I've read about the WR has been fairly positive, except for the e-starter issue on the '03 (so what did I end up with:doh: .
Ground is still icy and frozen here so I've not had a chance to ride it yet. I have ridden a buddies before and that's what sold me.
Going to put a DS kit on her, gear it down a bit and then enjoy myself.
She came with a GYT-R hot start, Scot Steering Dampener, skid plate Pro Circuit T4 exhaust and a lot of other goodies.
Just saying hi. I'm sure I will be back to pick your brains.

• Lcpl0331

Posted February 17, 2009 - 05:30 PM

I just bought one too. There was a Tech bulletin sent out on the woodruff key. Let me see if I can find it in all the paper work that came with the bike. I'll PM you if i find something that might help.

• Lcpl0331

Posted February 17, 2009 - 05:48 PM

PM sent

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 17, 2009 - 07:52 PM

If it's the tech bulletin that recommends you loctite the flywheel burn it as quickly as you can. That was Yamaha's supposed fix that only led to a host of other problems. The following year they mysteriously redesigned the drive and added a torque limiter. Do yourself a favor DO NOT loctite the flywheel. DO upgrade to the '04 parts. Go here for the details:

http://wr450.com/photos_frame_full.htm

• jerejuly

Posted February 17, 2009 - 08:05 PM

PM sent

Thanks!!!

• jerejuly

Posted February 17, 2009 - 08:11 PM

If it's the tech bulletin that recommends you loctite the flywheel burn it as quickly as you can. That was Yamaha's supposed fix that only led to a host of other problems. The following year they mysteriously redesigned the drive and added a torque limiter. Do yourself a favor DO NOT loctite the flywheel. DO upgrade to the '04 parts. Go here for the details:

Crap!!!:lol:
Oh well. Not sure if this is even an issue. The original owner, owned a dealership. I am hoping he dealt with this. The guy I bought it from wasn't aware of any starter issues.
Bike turns over and apart from an older battery, everything seems fine.
Wait and see I guess.
Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted February 18, 2009 - 03:02 PM

You can easily tell if the mod has been done. If it's stock '03 the idler gear cover (just in front of the starter motor) is flat. If it's been upgraded the cover will be domed.

• graazzy

Posted February 19, 2009 - 12:14 AM

I have an 03 with 6500Klm's on it without the conversion .No problems so far.

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 19, 2009 - 06:36 AM

I have an 03 with 6500Klm's on it without the conversion .No problems so far.

If you do a search you'll find there are many who haven't had a problem but just as many who have. It was a serious enough issue for Yamaha to dump a lot of money into a fix. Proper jetting will go a long way toward preventing a backfire which is what typically shears the key. The issue is do you want to deal with it on the trail? When/if it shears the key the bike will be dead so you'll be walking.

• VB_Racing

Posted February 19, 2009 - 07:16 PM

If you do a search you'll find there are many who haven't had a problem but just as many who have. It was a serious enough issue for Yamaha to dump a lot of money into a fix. Proper jetting will go a long way toward preventing a backfire which is what typically shears the key. The issue is do you want to deal with it on the trail? When/if it shears the key the bike will be dead so you'll be walking.

It is a matter of when , not if...I have had 2 03 WR's, and they will break sooner or later.It took 5 years for my 2nd one to break but it did last fall. Do yourself a favor and do the upgrade, unless you don't mind pushing.
Other than that , the bikes are great, a little heavy, but great!!

Dave

• coloradobrad

Posted February 19, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yes! Do the 04 upgrade. My 03 had the BS loctite fix. It backfired and sheered the woodruff key and left me stranded about 10 miles away from the truck. :lol: I did the 04 upgrade and never had a problem again :worthy:

• valkyrie69

Posted April 11, 2009 - 06:40 AM

has anyone had the same problem after the 04 mod

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.