2008 YZ450 Lowered Footpeg Brackets

16 replies to this topic
  • longie

Posted February 17, 2009 - 04:14 PM

Does anybody make lowered footpeg brackets for YZ450......thnx........

• mike_dean

Posted February 17, 2009 - 04:49 PM

Fastway made lowered brackets for my '06, but the torx bolts the stk brackets are mounted with wouldn't come out, so I mounted the pegs in the lowboy position and ground down the stop on the peg so it fit the head of the bolt perfectly and at the right angle and it worked great. The Fastway lowered brackets really were only different in that they had tapered head bolts so they mounted flush in the bracket. Mike

• yama4life07

Posted February 19, 2009 - 11:54 AM

What are the benefits of lowering your footpegs?

• Smokeslider

Posted February 19, 2009 - 08:32 PM

More cockpit room for bigger/taller folks

• yama4life07

Posted February 20, 2009 - 08:52 AM

what is the best kit. I am a 6'1 rider.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 20, 2009 - 09:13 AM

I've heard you can remove the lower bolt, then countersink the hole and buy a new bolt to have the bolt head flush with the bracket, then do the footpeg mod to lower the pegs. Haven't got around to it yet on mine.

• yama4life07

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:13 AM

Will that be strong enough cause I am a 2007 with the aluminum frame.

• mike_dean

Posted February 20, 2009 - 04:50 PM

I've heard you can remove the lower bolt, then countersink the hole and buy a new bolt to have the bolt head flush with the bracket, then do the footpeg mod to lower the pegs. Haven't got around to it yet on mine.

Let me know how you get the bolt out. The torx bolt barely has any area to grip with the tool, mine wouldn't budge. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted February 20, 2009 - 10:53 PM

Let me know how you get the bolt out. The torx bolt barely has any area to grip with the tool, mine wouldn't budge. Mike

you and me both. I tried an impact gun but the bit just jumps out. and I ruined 2 torq bits. :lol:

• mike_dean

Posted February 21, 2009 - 07:34 AM

you and me both. I tried an impact gun but the bit just jumps out. and I ruined 2 torq bits. :lol:

Yeah, I used an impact driver and some heat from a propane torch, no luck, I gave up and machined the end of the peg where it contacts the bolt to mate up with the contour of the bolt ( took alot of time) works good. Mike

• Tonson

Posted February 23, 2009 - 12:55 AM

I was very recently checking out the Fastway footpegs on Pro Moto Billet and although I was looking for my 2009 YZ450 as I'm 6'4". I am sure they have a low boy mount kit for the 2008 YZ. CHeck out www.promotobillet.com for the full range of pegs.

• cowboyona426

Posted February 23, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't done anything on my bike yet. Sounds almost like more trouble than it's worth.

• DPW

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:39 AM

wouldn't a taller seat be better then lowering pegs?

• Demo_Slug

Posted February 24, 2009 - 10:08 AM

Taller seat = higher center of gravity = bad.
Lower foot pegs = less ground clearance = bad.

Pick your poison.

• mike_dean

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Taller seat = higher center of gravity = bad.
Lower foot pegs = less ground clearance = bad.

Pick your poison.

I do both along with up and forward bars, bike is very comfortable, once my bike is modified like this I have a hard time riding a stock bike, footpegs are only 3/8" lower and 3/8" back, grd clearance is not really affected, I think these bikes are set up for somebody about 5'10". Mike

• Demo_Slug

Posted February 24, 2009 - 01:59 PM

grd clearance is not really affected

yes it really is affected. the pegs are lower. I’d agree that it is technically not the lowest point on the bike. And they do fold out of the way. But your toe is going to be just that much closer to getting snagged on brush and rocks. I wouldn’t say that lowering the pegs is a bad idea, just that it is not without a downside.

• Two-Six

Posted February 24, 2009 - 04:59 PM

I run lowered IMS footpegs and love them. I think I got them straight from IMS for 125 bucks, they are wider on lower than the stock 06 pegs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.