Crack noise when excelerating WR426

4 replies to this topic
  • Johnboy351

Posted February 17, 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hi all. Today while riding my 2002 WR426 I heard a loud crack noise coming from what I thought was the engine. I was excelerating with a bit of gusto when this happened,I did not loose any power and the crack was for a split second. The noise was actually pointed out to me by someone who was taking the bike for a testride. Any ideas what this might have been? It is not the sort of thing I need when trying to sell.

Cheers

• Thermos O flask

Posted February 17, 2009 - 01:45 AM

Maybe its running a bit lean? Backfiring under power is a sign of leanness.Wind out the mixture screw a 1/2 turn to start with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Johnboy351

Posted February 17, 2009 - 02:06 AM

Yeah may be. There is no crack when I excelerate with even throttle just when I fang it. might be the chain?

• GCannon

Posted February 17, 2009 - 08:57 AM

The Chain does make a lot of noise and often sounds like engine pinging. for the most part I don't hear it under hard acceleration . Mostly i hear it under constant or light acceleration.

There are several things you could check internally if you are so inclined. like the nut on the balance shaft gear. or the flywheel.

You could also try and duplicate the noise.

• Johnboy351

Posted February 17, 2009 - 09:13 AM

I did manage to make the noise my self by doing a quick exceleration at about 70 km. When smooth excererating there is no noise no loss of power etc....strange....I will try it again on the way home this morning

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.