project bike

19 replies to this topic
  • pasedogg

Posted February 16, 2009 - 10:40 PM

i just bought a suposivly 1999 wr 400. the frame number is not on it. what is the number suposed to be for a 1999 on the engine, i didnt think too look before i left my bike at the cottage.

also the silencer isd broke off. what silencers are cpmpatible with the wr 400. could i say use a yz 25 silencer.

also plastics,

i need all new plastics. what plastics are compatibvle with the 1999 wr 400. im talking everything radiator shrouds, e side panels,.oh ya will the rad shrouds fit my oversized gas tank.

and what kind of spark plugs do these take and how the hell do i get the thing out, its burried.what tools did you guys use.

• pasedogg

Posted February 16, 2009 - 10:45 PM

what if there is no number on the engine, is there a way to tell that this is a wr 400. is there anything ditinct.im hoping it is what its suposed to be, but all these yz and wrs all look alike, i do know its at least a 400,if not 426 or 450..
i wont be able to follow up on any comments untill the weekend when i go back to the cottage.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:29 AM

Most everything you are in need of is available on the TT store. The first thing you should do is write down the numbers, and find out what you have. Then track down an owners manual, and start reading. It will be your friend for the next several months. Take photos if you can.

• pasedogg

Posted February 17, 2009 - 11:21 AM

i found a bunch of cheap parts on ebay for wr 250's,450's,yz 250fs, yz400 f, like plastiucs cheap then buying on here.so thats why i wana know what is compatible.i have a feeling the bike has no numbers on it. i checked breefly and saw the frame number was scratche off, im guessing the motor number is gon. probily the guy stole it, but a frame on ebay is only 99 bucks.so i need to know if im buying all the right parts.anything distinct on the wr400 thtAT OTHER BIKES DONBNT HAVE.IM CONFIDENT ITS THE WR 400 BUT JUST INCAsae u know.

• pasedogg

Posted February 17, 2009 - 11:25 AM

i will list all the parts i need. please tell me whats compatible with the wr 400

back side covers plastics
radiator shrouds, and white air vent plastics

foot pegs

rear brake hose
kick stand

rear fender
with light

silencer canistor

headlight

pretty much i wana know all plastics that are compatible

• gator4life108

Posted February 18, 2009 - 05:25 PM

i will list all the parts i need. please tell me whats compatible with the wr 400

foot pegs

rear brake hose
kick stand

rear fender
with light

silencer canistor

headlight

All 1998-2002 YZ/WR plastics will work, some may need very very minor trimming.

Im going through a rebuild of a 98 wr400(very similar to yours) let me know if you have any questions. I just ordered about $150 worth of oem parts through TT and nobody was any cheaper than TT.:lol:

• gator4life108

Posted February 18, 2009 - 05:28 PM

, but a frame on ebay is only 99 bucks

Check this listing from a member here on TT.

http://www.thumperta...ct=47528&cat=32

He is including a title and many other things. It is a 250 frame but im pretty dang sure they are the same.

• pasedogg

Posted February 22, 2009 - 01:55 PM

can i cut the canister off a 250 pipe and put it on use hose clamps. or will the 250'ss and 450 pipes bolt right on.

• acarter92

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:38 PM

foot pegs

rear brake hose
kick stand

rear fender
with light

silencer canistor

headlight

Could you post a picture? I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to see one!. You said you have an oversized gas tank, it's probably stock, the stock tanks are pretty big (like 3.5 gal.). If you want to buy used parts ebay is a great place, just type in WR400 and go to the ebay stores catagory and you'll get like 500 items. A yzf400 exhaust fits perfectly on this and adds a lot of power as apposed to stock. (that's what I'm running). As far as plastics go, your probably better off getting a yzf kit (if you don't need a tail light) and just getting the headlight plate seperate. If you are getting fork sliders the yzf's don't have the odo mount so if you want that you'll have to get wr400 sliders. The cool thing about this 400's is that the yzf and wr's are almost the same bike with some moderate differences, so most likely if it fits the yzf it fits the WR.

Austin

• pasedogg

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:01 AM

will 2008 wr 450 radiator shrouds fit a 1999 wr400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pasedogg

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:07 AM

will YZ 250 F YZ250 F 03-05 side panels fit

• pasedogg

Posted February 25, 2009 - 02:26 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...AX:IT&viewitem=

will this kit fit my bike

• pasedogg

Posted February 25, 2009 - 03:12 AM

is CR8EIX the correct spark plug.??if not what is... do you guys yse to get the spark plug out. im going to home hardware and buying the exzact tools to put in my back pack with extra plugs

• gator4life108

Posted February 26, 2009 - 09:49 PM

radiator shrouds from any yz will not fit a wr gas tank.....like i said 1998-2002 wr/yz is what will fit a wr......

• ch_250

Posted February 27, 2009 - 01:28 PM

the 2008 is totally different than your bike
the WR has lights and the rear fender dips down at the back. The YZ has no lights at all and the rear fender is straight out.
for my 01 wr 426 spark plug i have to take the seat and tank off, then drop the right size deep socket in the hole, then drop in a short extension, and then drop in another short extension, then put the ratchet on and loosen it.
when its loose i take the ratchet off, pull the extension out as far as possible, then grab the bottom extention and take the top one off. i can usually get the plug out with my finger or a magnet. It's quite the process. There is a special tool to do it, but this works too.

• pasedogg

Posted February 27, 2009 - 09:56 PM

ok so i said **** it with ebay, i went to tt store, cant find 1999 wr 400 complete plastic kits, but found yz250f '01-'02. will this kit work, you siad before yz radiator shrouds dont fit the wr gas tank.do u know where to get a complete kit for the 99 wr 400

• gator4life108

Posted February 27, 2009 - 11:18 PM

ok so i said **** it with ebay, i went to tt store, cant find 1999 wr 400 complete plastic kits, but found yz250f '01-'02. will this kit work, you siad before yz radiator shrouds dont fit the wr gas tank.do u know where to get a complete kit for the 99 wr 400

good luck trying to find a complete kit for the your wr.......i have been looking for months and have had no luck.....even called Thumper Talk and he said they dont make one.

• ch_250

Posted February 28, 2009 - 03:23 PM

my 01 wr 426 has yz 400 radiator shrouds on it

• pasedogg

Posted March 01, 2009 - 10:08 PM

really i wander if the whole yz kit would fit my bike then

• ch_250

Posted March 02, 2009 - 08:26 AM

i dunno for what year they are. they say "UFO YZ 400 MADE IN ITALY" on the inside. they were on the bike when i got it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.