New valves equals new shims but what size?

5 replies to this topic
  • Brett1981

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:30 PM

I have just replaced the intake valves in my YZ426 00' and now have found out I need new shims. I am wondering if there are any methods to measure what size I need or is it a trial and error thing? The shop told me that I should be able to measure somehow because they want me to swap and pay.

• matt4x4

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:43 AM

you really can't just measure, however, you should have some shims kicking around from your bike's previous valves - maybe even just give the smallest shim you have a try, if it fits with room for play so you can measure (even a BIG gap) you can always measure one at a time then calculate what you really need.
should be relatively quick with everything on the bench.

• marknir

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:46 AM

If you are doing this on the bench, be very carful or you will bend the new valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted February 17, 2009 - 06:59 AM

If you are going to be riding and working on these bikes you should invest in a shim kit from HotCams, basically all the big bikes take the same size(9.48) its worth the the investment, check ebay or the HotCams website or TT. Mike

• Brett1981

Posted February 17, 2009 - 02:10 PM

Thanks, yeah I wish I had the shim kit would save a lot of trips to the shop. But what I will do is as you suggested - put a small shim in and measure the clearance. Maybe a 150 I will start with. I want to sell and update asap.

• grayracer513

Posted February 17, 2009 - 02:31 PM

If you are careful, you can get close by using a smaller shim and holding the cam down on the head by hand. Seat the ball bearing by tapping it down with a wood or plastic mallet, and hold pressure on the cam as you take your measurement. Saves a bit of time.

If you use a full set of gauges, you should be able to get in the ball park this way.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.