Any good for road use?

22 replies to this topic
  • 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:45 AM

I am looking at possibly getting a WR, if i was to want it to get near a road what would i need to do. ..?

Do they have an Ignition, Steering lock ?

Can the headlight be easily upgraded to a dual (Hi-Low) type?

Can indicators be fitted easily, is the switch there ready?

Anything else to allow me to use it on a road safely?

I will probably be doing 60% woods and trail riding and 40% road (no long journey's).

Can anyone give me 1st hand experience of using one on the road, anyone commute with one? etc

Cheers

James

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:49 AM

I am looking at possibly getting a WR, if i was to want it to get near a road what would i need to do. ..?

Do they have an Ignition, Steering lock ?

Can the headlight be easily upgraded to a dual (Hi-Low) type?

Can indicators be fitted easily, is the switch there ready?

Anything else to allow me to use it on a road safely?

I will probe be doing 60% woods and trail riding and 40% road (no long journey's).

Can anyone give me 1st hand experience of using one on the road, anyone commute with one? etc

Cheers

James

Do a search...all of this info has been covered

1) no ignition or steering lock

2) add a switch...everything else is already there

3) add yes...all you need is basic 12v wiring skills. no switch you will need to buy one

4) ...

5) 1st hand experiance....my 06 had 11k miles before i sold...they were all hard hard baja/dual sport/desert miles. not one valve adjustment needed. my dad also has an 06 and we did a top end at 11k miles and we put the stock valves and stock shims back in...after 13k miles it still starts 1st kick :lol:

• 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Thanx, i have been trying to search for the past few hours, but cant seem to get the search tool to work, getting an error. So got impatient and asked the questions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply tho! You confirmed my thoughts.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:57 AM

Thanx, i have been trying to search for the past few hours, but cant seem to get the search tool to work, getting an error. So got impatient and asked the questions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply tho! You confirmed my thoughts.

No problem...i just tried the search and got the same error :worthy:

yeah the WR is hard to beat...you wont be disappointed :lol:

• 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 10:04 AM

Its a toss up between the DRZ400 and the WR426 / WR450 at the moment.

I just found this kit: http://www.electrosp...-detail-328.php

Tempting...

Any diff between the 426 and 450, other than the engine.

Cheers, and glad its not just my search that's not working!!

• 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 10:12 AM

http://www.proracing...ighting_wrf.htm

This kit in the UK, £335, they dip the headlight simply by upgrading the wiring.

So do all the WR headlight units have the ability to be Dipped? or is this for a certain year only..

Thanks

• doctorchopper

Posted February 16, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yes all the headlights are dual fillement bulbs, most uk and european wr's come with a road kit unless the original owner has taken it off.Are you planning on buying new? If so, it should come with a road legal kit.

• MaxPower

Posted February 16, 2009 - 11:56 AM

http://www.electrosp...-detail-328.php

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have a Dakar Dual Sport Kit on my WR and would never recommend them

I strongly suggest you look somewhere else.The kit for my bike was marginal.But customer service was the worst ever that I had to deal with.Ever anywhere with anything.If you catch them between lunch breaks and waves and rotating quitting times, you may just get an answer to a problem you never should have had in the first place.

I recommended the Trick Dual Sport Kit .I have seen the kits on other bikes and from everything I have heard they are very well liked[/COLOR]

• 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yes all the headlights are dual fillement bulbs, most uk and european wr's come with a road kit unless the original owner has taken it off.Are you planning on buying new? If so, it should come with a road legal kit.

Probably second hand, but not sure yet.

What does the "road kit" consist of? I guess it still doesnt have an ignition key! Doh..

Cheers

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 16, 2009 - 01:30 PM

greetings. There is a specific UK road legal kit for the wr450f 2007. Probably 08 as well. UK legal being the important bit. Im not sure if US kit is UK legal. The Uk kit Is a pre-fab harness with all switches, indicators, hi/low, horn etc. Was very tempted to plate mine as there seems to be hardly anywhere to ride in my area (scotland). Wound up with a trailer. The cush drive? (lack of) & rigorous maintenance (££) put me off plating mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 01:45 PM

The cush drive? (lack of) & rigorous maintenance (££) put me off plating mine.

thats sad that "these" things keep you from plating your bike...the cush drive is not need at all...

as for rigorous maintenance, can you please explain this? on my 06 the only thing i do is clean the air filter and change the oil...:lol:

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 16, 2009 - 02:06 PM

I was told in the dual sport forum that the lack of a cush drive would cause early death of the transmission if used daily on tarmac. No idea if thats true or not, but its what I was told. As for the maintanence schedule, please see the manual! Swapping the oil every weekend & adjusting the valves every month would be a royal & costly pita. Then again, I know naught about bikes....

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 02:18 PM

Then again, I know naught about bikes....

valve adjustments...please its a yamaha...my 06 went 11k miles of HARD riding with ZERO valve adjustments...i am not the only one with these results either

i would say the only pain with these bikes would be an oil change and that is because you might to be change it a little sooner then the next bike but in all honesty it is not hard at all.

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 16, 2009 - 02:39 PM

valve adjustments...please its a yamaha...my 06 went 11k miles of HARD riding with ZERO valve adjustments...i am not the only one with these results either

i would say the only pain with these bikes would be an oil change and that is because you might to be change it a little sooner then the next bike but in all honesty it is not hard at all.

Great. tbh my background is cars. similar technology, yet strangely different. I'll be checking the valves for sure, buts thats just me. frequently dropping £22 on fresh oil/filter would be a nuisance. Then there is the time involved. Great if your time rich... Perhaps we should agree to dissagree.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 02:45 PM

frequently dropping £22 on fresh oil/filter would be a nuisance.

Where are you buying oil? got to walmart (not sure what they have in the UK) and buy cheap diesel oil...here its about 12 bucks (£15) a gallon which will get you 3 oil changes with some left over...:lol:

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 16, 2009 - 03:08 PM

Where are you buying oil? got to walmart (not sure what they have in the UK) and buy cheap diesel oil...here its about 12 bucks (£15) a gallon which will get you 3 oil changes with some left over...:lol:

greetings dawg. Never thought about bulk buying oil. tbh this is my first ever new car/bike purchase. I guess im going through a phase of maintaining its sanctity lol by using 'special' oil and 'special' bits. When she's deflowered I'll be more sensible ££ with parts/oil. till then its love and kisses. I Just want to fire her up and feel that 'new' feeling. The oil im using is castrol offroad 10w 40w. £11.99 from halfords/halfrauds (1 litre). I'll search out what the UK blokes are using for regular oil changes. Thanks dawg and happy times to you & all :worthy:

• klossWR450

Posted February 16, 2009 - 03:16 PM

as to the cush drive while it'd be nice to have one it's not desperately needed on 112 kg bike, on heavier bikes the engine punch stresses the transmission a lot more hence the cush, WR just flies away

• 996turbo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 03:32 PM

Ok, so the service intervals are going to be more than a DRZ, i can handle that tho, i got my hand's on a halfords trade card!!

I just cant decide between the DRZ for its dual sport capabilities as it comes

or

WR450F , and i make it Dual Sport...

At the end of the day, which will be a better Dual Sport...

I much prefer the design of the WR, its just the stupid little things that put me off, no ignition....

I need to go view them both, i just cant find a WR local yet !

Thinking out loud again !

• mightymart

Posted February 16, 2009 - 03:48 PM

Great. tbh my background is cars. similar technology, yet strangely different. I'll be checking the valves for sure, buts thats just me. frequently dropping £22 on fresh oil/filter would be a nuisance. Then there is the time involved. Great if your time rich... Perhaps we should agree to dissagree.

I use silkolene comp 4 , normally i buy 4 litres = under £30 ,does 3 to 4 oil changes, I also bought 3 hi flo oil filters from ebay @ £3.00 each inc postage, Which is £11,per oil change at worst case inc oil filter !
I do 3 to 4 outings averageing around 100miles each time then an oil change do another 3 to 4 outings & change oil & filter.
I had an XR650 before my WR & that had longer intervals between oil changes (1000km) but changing the oil takes less than 15 minutes with the filter !, once youve done it once Its really no biggy after that.
From what I can gather regular fresh oil in your WR is the key to the reliability of this engine.

• mightymart

Posted February 16, 2009 - 04:06 PM

The WR is a hard core off roader compared to a DRZ, I would say go for the DRZ if you are doing alot of road work because there more suited to do both. Plus the DRZ s I think has rear footpegs for passengers where the WR doesnt, Just another thing to think about !
Also the WR is a magnet for thievies because is looks so much like a motocross bike with lights, so if you plan to leave anywhere unattended with locks, new fitted ignition switch !!! lol, etc , dont expect it to be there when you come back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.