YZ forks for a 2003 WR

13 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Is the 2003/4 YZ fork an oil bath too?
What year cartridge forks fit on the 2003/4?

They are CHEAP on ebay right now.............

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:09 AM

04 YZ they changed - "48mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel"

From Yamaha (for an 03 YZ450F) - "46mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel"

From Yamaha (for an 03 WR450F) - "46mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel "

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:10 AM

So $ 189.00 would be a pretty good upgrade for cartridge forks then, yes?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:16 AM

04 YZ they changed - "48mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel"

From Yamaha (for an 03 YZ450F) - "46mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel"

From Yamaha (for an 03 WR450F) - "46mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork w/adjustable compression and rebound damping; 11.8" travel "

Does that mean that YZ/WR are the same for '03?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:21 AM

So $ 189.00 would be a pretty good upgrade for cartridge forks then, yes?

i guess so...i dont get the whole hype for the YZ forks...my 06 and 08 both have stock forks that were resprung and revalved by Precision Concepts and i have not problems pound through the whoops / hualing the mail in the desert / dual sporting the local mountains or single tracking up the side of a mountain.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:24 AM

i guess so...i dont get the whole hype for the YZ forks...my 06 and 08 both have stock forks that were resprung and revalved by Precision Concepts and i have not problems pound through the whoops / hualing the mail in the desert / dual sporting the local mountains or single tracking up the side of a mountain.

Ahhh, ok. I understand. I wondered about that. Thanks Coop. Besides, even with YZ forks I would still have to throw money at them to tune them for my needs (old and fat).

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:32 AM

even with YZ forks I would still have to throw money at them to tune them for my needs (old and fat).

i whole heartedly agree...i would love yz forks on my 08 but that would require me to buy forks and the have my sponsory spring and valve them for me...i would be looking at 800 bucks before i even sold my stock stuff that has already be sprugn and valved for me fat butt!

if i was bell or campbell and could use the full potental of the yz fork by all means they would have already been on the bike but since its just me...well the WR fork works great after PC did their magic on them:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:36 AM

i whole heartedly agree...i would love yz forks on my 08 but that would require me to buy forks and the have my sponsory spring and valve them for me...i would be looking at 800 bucks before i even sold my stock stuff that has already be sprugn and valved for me fat butt!

if i was bell or campbell and could use the full potental of the yz fork by all means they would have already been on the bike but since its just me...well the WR fork works great after PC did their magic on them:thumbsup:

What did you spend at PC for the front and rear?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:43 AM

What did you spend at PC for the front and rear?

I sent you a PM :lol:

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hey krannie what do you think of the bike now that you're getting her dialed in? Not so bad huh?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hey krannie what do you think of the bike now that you're getting her dialed in? Not so bad huh?

Well, I must say that I'm glad I bought it, but I still need a bit more tuning. Springs are WAY too soft for me, so the dampers don't work too good. The carb is a pain to tune, but it's getting close. It's easy as hell to work on. It corners fantastic in the loose stuff. Wait till I do the suspension, and ask me again!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 16, 2009 - 05:09 PM

What year cartridge forks fit on the 2003/4?

They are CHEAP on ebay right now.............

Bill, no kayaba cartidge fork fits the 46mm setup you have.

I did some research on this before deciding to keep my 46mm forks on my yz. My 05 wr forks are great and I considered putting the same setup on the yz. But I didn't do it.

Here's what I learned... (guys, correct me if I am wrong)

the 03 and earlier yz and wr forks are the same 46mm fork design.
in 04, the YZ's used a 48mm open bath fork. Same design, just bigger
in 05, the yz and wr went to an 48mm air-oil-seperate AOSS design
in 06, the yz went to the speed sensitive system (SSS - twin cartridge)
in 07, the wr's got the same YZ forks

Of course, there were some different valving involved in yz and wr implementations, but we all have to rework them a bit anyways.

I talked to several suspension tuners regarding upgrading my yz to 48mm forks. They told me that the 46mm forks can be setup to be really, really nice and it wasn't worth the change (forks, clamps, caliper, axles, etc...) UNLESS, I had a damaged fork that needed to be replaced anyways. My riding/racing capabilities are within the tunable range of the 46mm forks.

Assuming that I upgraded from the 46mm to the AOSS or SSS forks, it would be hard to tell the difference between the two for desert/trail riding only. Either 48mm design is good, although I think you can still use the same brake caliper from the 46mm to the AOSS fork.

I stuck with the 46mm forks because I was told that they could be made to be very good and I didn't want to go to the trouble of buying new triples, caliper, axle, and brake line. It doubled the cost and I would still have to pay to get the new forks setup.

I decided to try to keep the forks I got and got them revalved pretty inexpensively. I took the money I saved and invested in a set of flexx handlebars to help soften up the rocky stuff.

So far, I am very happy with the work done on my 46mm forks. Its steady through the whoops and easily handles the g-outs and rocks that I am too slow to react to. I am learning to just lean back and give it gas. Its very confidence inspiring to have a stable bike beneath you.

talk to some tuners (you know a few) and don't be too quick to swap out your forks.

(btw... I always thought that the shock on the wr was worse than the forks. Get that done also!)

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 16, 2009 - 07:15 PM

The '07+ WR do not have the SSS fork.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 16, 2009 - 07:26 PM

The '07+ WR do not have the SSS fork.

better yet....why :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.