2000 yz426 woodruff key / 'cb gear' worries

2 replies to this topic
  • jeeper33

Posted February 16, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hello all:
I've spent a good amount of time searching for details on the woodruff key // cb gear clanking that is inherent in the 2000 yz426's. Right now, for some reason I can't search the forums, but that's beside the point.

I'm going to tear into the motor a little bit before the riding season starts, and i want to order some parts before i open her up.

My question is: The woodruff key that gets worn, and then has problems: is this the actual "woodruff key" on the crank (which would be accessed from the stator side of the engine) or is it the "straight key" that is located on the drive gear, which would be accessed from the clutch side of the engine? I have seen posts talking about taking the crank side cover off (clutch side) and checking for counter balancer drive gear slop, but then there is mention of the woodruff key...which if I'm reading the manual correctly, would be accessed from the other side of the engine.

I'm going to link to the image of what I'm talking about. If anyone who has experience with this could identify which parts are actually the problem parts, I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on making a step-by-step walk through, with pictures in case anyone else that has this bike needs to go through this as well.

Everyone has been very helpful in the past, so I'm hoping I can expect the same great support!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 16, 2009 - 08:34 AM

It's the square key on the drive side, item #9 in your drawing. It's a misnomer to cal it a Woodruff key.

• jeeper33

Posted February 16, 2009 - 09:29 AM

Grayracer: As always you rock. I can always rely on you to clear things up!

Thanks again!

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.