My evolving WZ

30 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:46 AM

But I gotta say, the bike did feel more flickable without the 5lbs battery, it's probably not so much that it's 5lbs, but that it's a the top of the bike, raising the center of gravity.

This is why I found the Ebatt, 08 YZ exhaust to be such a crucial mod. With 5-6lbs of high weight removed the bike is much more flickable :lol:

I'm surprised you're bike ran without the battery. When I first put in my Ebatt I didn't have it connected to the stock charging system, and when my battery went dead my bike would start but not run. It would just pop and misfire with any throttle. It was my impression that the CDI would not work properly without the battery on 07's and later models :worthy:

• erickdj

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:13 AM

This is why I found the Ebatt, 08 YZ exhaust to be such a crucial mod. With 5-6lbs of high weight removed the bike is much more flickable :lol:

I'm surprised you're bike ran without the battery. When I first put in my Ebatt I didn't have it connected to the stock charging system, and when my battery went dead my bike would start but not run. It would just pop and misfire with any throttle. It was my impression that the CDI would not work properly without the battery on 07's and later models :worthy:

I've heard different stories about it, some say the bike will run, while others say it won't. Well, I know for a fact mine did run, and it ran fine. The only funny business going on was the speedometer, mph all over the place.

Is the 08 yz shorty that much lighter than the regular yz stock muffler? I thought I heard it was pretty much just as heavy or marginally lighter.

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:31 AM

Is the 08 yz shorty that much lighter than the regular yz stock muffler? I thought I heard it was pretty much just as heavy or marginally lighter.

I can't say how much weight difference there is between the shorty and a regular YZ muffler but I know the whole theory behind the shorty was centralizing mass for better handling.
I do know I lost a good 2.5lbs from the stock WR exhaust though.
It also gives lots of space for grabbing the fender now for lifting the bike :lol:

Once my Nicad Ebatt gives out and I change to the lithium I will be losing another 1.5lbs for a 6.5lbs total loss to high weight. IMO important mods to the handling of this bike.

• erickdj

Posted February 23, 2009 - 01:01 PM

I can't say how much weight difference there is between the shorty and a regular YZ muffler but I know the whole theory behind the shorty was centralizing mass for better handling.
I do know I lost a good 2.5lbs from the stock WR exhaust though.
It also gives lots of space for grabbing the fender now for lifting the bike :lol:

Once my Nicad Ebatt gives out and I change to the lithium I will be losing another 1.5lbs for a 6.5lbs total loss to high weight. IMO important mods to the handling of this bike.

I'm currently running a stock 06 full yz exhaust system on my wr, only ran the stock wr can for about a month or so. I also have a brand new full 08 yz exhaust, but I'm thinking it would kill the power on my wr. Maybe if I mod the internal cones on the 08 shorty it would be worth a shot. The header diameter is massive on it, so maybe opening the cones would result in something positive. Something to think about I guess.

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 03:42 PM

I'm currently running a stock 06 full yz exhaust system on my wr, only ran the stock wr can for about a month or so. I also have a brand new full 08 yz exhaust, but I'm thinking it would kill the power on my wr. Maybe if I mod the internal cones on the 08 shorty it would be worth a shot. The header diameter is massive on it, so maybe opening the cones would result in something positive. Something to think about I guess.

Well I can't compare to the 06 exhaust but the 08 sure woke up my WR.
I run it with a PMB endo for spark arrestor and a silent insert to pass 96db for races.
The PMB replaces the stock large cone with a non perforated one. I could try mine without the PMB cone, it's removable, but never have. My guess is it would be pretty loud. Maybe I'll try it at the MX track one day....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:27 PM

Well I can't compare to the 06 exhaust but the 08 sure woke up my WR.
I run it with a PMB endo for spark arrestor and a silent insert to pass 96db for races.
The PMB replaces the stock large cone with a non perforated one. I could try mine without the PMB cone, it's removable, but never have. My guess is it would be pretty loud. Maybe I'll try it at the MX track one day....

It would be nice if you could post some pictures of the different parts that go together. The end-cap, the cone, the insert, and the inside of the muffler with those things removed. I know I'm asking for a lot, but I can only hope. The 06 exhaust is the typical straight through design, and it's got a bigger diameter than the 07 yz muffler, so I know it flows pretty darn good. I ran the 08 yz with the stock shorty for only a little bit, then I ran it with the 06 muffler and it really woke the bike up. The shorty is quite restrictive at low-mid throttle in it's original form, but I wonder if that can be cured by playing around with the cones a little bit. Here are a couple pictures of how the 08 muffler looks inside:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• tribalbc

Posted February 23, 2009 - 05:28 PM

Too bad we didn't talk about this a couple months ago when I was repacking my muffler :worthy:

I can tell you that the PMB cone replaces the entire yellow cone. It comes out when you remove the endcap. It's one complete unit.

I could take some pics for you of the PMB cone, endcap and silent insert but you will be waiting awhile. I work out of town in the winter and it will be mid April before I see my bike again :lol:

• erickdj

Posted February 24, 2009 - 03:16 AM

Too bad we didn't talk about this a couple months ago when I was repacking my muffler :worthy:

I can tell you that the PMB cone replaces the entire yellow cone. It comes out when you remove the endcap. It's one complete unit.

I could take some pics for you of the PMB cone, endcap and silent insert but you will be waiting awhile. I work out of town in the winter and it will be mid April before I see my bike again :lol:

How does the pmb unit compare to the yellow cone? Is it the same basic design? or does it have better airflow? Is the yellow cone part of the stock end cap? is it welded to it? I don't mind waiting a while for pictures, I've had that muffler sitting for over a year, I can wait a little longer.

• erickdj

Posted February 27, 2009 - 10:10 PM

Today I got my hands on an owner's manual for the 2007 yz450, looked up the suspension clicker settings and wrote them down. I went to the garage to check things out before tomorrow's ride, turns out the clickers were completely out of whack when the suspension was delivered to me:banghead: . So I adjusted everything and set the sag @ 95mm, approximately 3.75", pretty much half way between the recommended specs:thumbsup: . It was like 4.5" before the adjustment, no wonder I had hardly any traction last week.:lol: We'll see how it behaves tomorrow. I also put the battery back in there, just to test how the e-start works after charging up the battery a while.

• erickdj

Posted February 28, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Well, it's official, e-start works!!!:worthy: :banghead: I went with some people for a good ride today, awesome ride.:lol: :lol: My dad went with me today, he wasn't feeling too good, so I let him ride the wr and I took his kx250. I didn't get much riding done on the wr, just a little while. Anyway, I told him not to use the e-start, so the battery could charge up during the day. About 3 hours into the ride I tried the e-start without expecting too much to happen, well the thing fired right up! Turns out the batter is not holding a charge like it used to, so if the first two tries at e-starting don't work, then it just won't work since the battery will lose cranking power exponentitally after the second attempt. I kept on trying the battery a few more times later in the day, it fired up every time. So I'm thinking that if I buy one of those "lightweight" batteries that are supposed to hold their charge longer I should be OK with the e-start. Due to my limited seat time on the wr today, I didn't get too much of a chance to test out the suspension, but from the limited time I used it I can tell that it's much better now with the proper clicker settings and sag.:busted:

• tribalbc

Posted May 11, 2009 - 03:14 PM

Here's the pics comparing the stock and PMB cone for the 08 YZ exhaust

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.