Top end and Synthetic Oil

4 replies to this topic
  • CuLayTur

Posted February 12, 2003 - 07:45 AM

In my quest to complete my top end, which is being rebuilt for a second time (long story). The cylinder and piston are a nickle-ceramic coating for Max Power. They are saying to use Redline Synthetic for the initial break-in period. But from my I have heard and read, break-in with synthetic is a no-no because the rings will not seat properly. Is this still the case? Has anybody had a cylinder and/or piston with this type of ceramic coating?

Thanks,
Curt

• CuLayTur

Posted February 14, 2003 - 09:50 AM

Bump back to the top.... I can't beleive nobody has tried this type of coat before... I must be the guinea pig on this... I hope not.

Thanks,
Curt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted February 14, 2003 - 12:29 PM

i had my 250F done by USChrome with their NiCom. i stupidly used Amsoil 100% synthetic on break in and the rings never seated. i mean to the point it was smoking as bad as a poorly jetted 2stroke. i was doing the James Bond thing and leaving a smoke trail of oil all over the place. in one harescramble, i burnt up 0.7L of the 1.7L that my bike holds in a mere 40 miles. i've rebuilt it since.

curt, i'm not going to tell you what to do, but only tell you what i did and how badly it turned out. on the rebuild, i went with castrol gtx 20w50 (red cap, non-ec) and so far it seems to be doing fine.

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted February 14, 2003 - 02:49 PM

FWIW, everything I've read on break-in specifically states do not use synth for the break-in period because the rings will not seat properly. Synth is too slippery and does not allow the parts to wear against each other and 'settle in'.

• CuLayTur

Posted February 14, 2003 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for your input. I too, know the pitfall's with using a synthetic oil on a break-in period, but it's this damn ceramic cylinder coating. The company insists that using Redline synthetic is the only thing they recommend for break-in.... period.... But my gut says "H@ll no!!!!" I'm not sure I can take the risk... And have to redo the top-end again for a third time... :)

Thanks,
Curt

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.