Is there dune riding in AZ?

12 replies to this topic
  • the big kx

Posted February 14, 2009 - 05:42 PM

Where abouts are some of the better dune riding areas?

• Decreasing Dave

Posted February 15, 2009 - 12:41 AM

Best thing I can tell you is by Yuma. It's actually the Algodonis Dunes in Califas but everyone in AZ calls it "going to Yuma". It takes me about 5 hours to get there and I'm on the Southest corner of the state (Yuma is on the Southwest corner).

Dave

• the big kx

Posted February 15, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Best thing I can tell you is by Yuma. It's actually the Algodonis Dunes in Califas but everyone in AZ calls it "going to Yuma". It takes me about 5 hours to get there and I'm on the Southest corner of the state (Yuma is on the Southwest corner).

Dave

Cool. Thanks for the post. How far away is Yuma from Scottsdale area?

• beemerwolf

Posted February 15, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Cool. Thanks for the post. How far away is Yuma from Scottsdale area?

from downtown scottsdale to yuma is around 200 miles +/-
(takes about 3 hours to get there)

the dunes are about 50 miles west of yuma, you'll also need to buy a dunes permit
(takes about 1 hour to get there)

http://www.blm.gov/c...ohvs/isdra.html

hope this helps:thumbsup:

• the big kx

Posted February 15, 2009 - 08:22 AM

from downtown scottsdale to yuma is around 200 miles +/-
(takes about 3 hours to get there)

the dunes are about 50 miles west of yuma, you'll also need to buy a dunes permit
(takes about 1 hour to get there)

http://www.blm.gov/c...ohvs/isdra.html

hope this helps:thumbsup:

Thanks for the response guys. I'll try to see if I can go when I'm down there. How are they? Are they kind of like the Glamis Dunes from the Crusty Videos? I have never been to Yuma or Glamis, or well dune riding for that matter, so I am wondering if these are comparable?

• trxcr

Posted February 15, 2009 - 08:48 AM

Almost in AZ
http://www.duneguide..._coral_pink.htm

• motorida26

Posted February 15, 2009 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the response guys. I'll try to see if I can go when I'm down there. How are they? Are they kind of like the Glamis Dunes from the Crusty Videos? I have never been to Yuma or Glamis, or well dune riding for that matter, so I am wondering if these are comparable?

glamis is north west of yuma on the Cali side.

heres a map actually

http://www.glamisdun... maps/socal.htm

• night prowler

Posted February 22, 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hot Well Dunes is another place to check out

• JAADOG

Posted February 22, 2009 - 04:10 PM

look up butter cup, gordons wells and glamis anywhere from 3 to 4 hrs from Sdale.the big dunes are at glamis the furthest one from you.the other 2 are just as fun.if you want to pardy and see all the crazy stuff its glamis.gordens wells,butter cup is more family oranited.

• redrider58

Posted February 23, 2009 - 08:19 PM

and the hotwell dunes are fun, it is near wilcox, buyie. there is a really fun track around the fence of this place, i call it the the perimeter run.

• Decreasing Dave

Posted February 24, 2009 - 11:49 PM

and the hotwell dunes are fun, it is near wilcox, buyie. there is a really fun track around the fence of this place, i call it the the perimeter run.

"Bowie" is a different kind of sand really. Lots more gravel and rock in it with sections of solid ground. Don't bother with a paddle unless it's an old one you want to waste anyway. Not really dunes either, but fun just the same.

Dave

• wweverett

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:36 PM

CInders north of flagstaff is great but make sure your paddle is molded not glued to the tire or they will make it about half the day and be gone.

• tnl

Posted February 26, 2009 - 02:02 PM

Buttercup used to be good but since last year they installed that border fence which cuts right thru the back side of B.C. so we don't go there anymore instead we just go across the street to Gordon Wells. It took me 3.5 hrs non stop pulling my 27' trailer couple of weeks ago from the N.W. valley (303 & lake Pleasant rd). Got a $75 BLM ticket there when I left too :lol: Glamis is fun too but there's no free water there if your pulling a rv and it isn't much different there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.