Bog - be - gone: R&D powerbowl

7 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 14, 2009 - 05:09 PM

R&D powerbowl with R&D power pump ,made an immediate improvement in bog reduction and throttle repsonse. Near scared myself to death when I tested a WOT 'whack' in first gear: no bog, just sky! It will still bog if the rpms are low and I 'try' to make it bog, but I haven't even adjusted the leak jet (tried one turn out), the Remote fuel screw (tried 1.5 turns out) or the APump settings (stock on mines seems to be about 1mm, a bit early) yet.

I'm stoked that I can now loft the wheel over a slow obstacle without total fear of 'flame-out'.
:lol:

• dazzabb

Posted February 14, 2009 - 09:26 PM

+1

Fitted one to my 05 over a year ago and have never had to touch it since.
An immediate - although not a cheap - improvement.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 14, 2009 - 09:52 PM

R&D powerbowl with R&D power pump ,made an immediate improvement in bog reduction and throttle repsonse.

Krannie
did your 03 carb bowl have a leak jet? if so, a 40 leak and the o-ring mod would have done the same thing...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 14, 2009 - 11:36 PM

Krannie
did your 03 carb bowl have a leak jet? if so, a 40 leak and the o-ring mod would have done the same thing...

Well, I tried the 30 and the 40 leak jet, the single and double o-ring mod, bending the AP spring tighter, and they all helped, but I would still flame out over a simple low rpm wheel lift. With the R&D stuff, it is twice as good, right out of the box. Really noticeable in a power slide: now you can dial in the power you need, instead of trying to deal with the power you get.

It all only cost me $ 129.00 shipped. Gotta love ebay (sometimes).
I will do the AP timing next.

So, what is the hot set-up for the forks? They seem lifeless.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 15, 2009 - 08:17 AM

Well, I tried the 30 and the 40 leak jet, the single and double o-ring mod, bending the AP spring tighter, and they all helped, but I would still flame out over a simple low rpm wheel lift. With the R&D stuff, it is twice as good, right out of the box. Really noticeable in a power slide: now you can dial in the power you need, instead of trying to deal with the power you get.

It all only cost me $ 129.00 shipped. Gotta love ebay (sometimes).
I will do the AP timing next.

Interesting add-on you got here. I am learning at your expense. I remember you telling me that my bike seemed down on power the last time we rode together. I'm a better rider now so I could use a little snap on the low end. But I like the mellow nature of this beast. I don't want to change that too much.

thanks for the education...

regarding the forks... you've got the 46mm open bath forks. They desperately need to be reworked. I had my 46mm kayaba's on my yz done by Dave @smartperformance who also gave me the full build specs and shim stacks used incase I want to adjust the valving myself in the future. I think he will also sell you the parts and specs to rebuild your own if you want.

Swapping to the 05/06 or 07-up 48mm forks are the next step up. Ebay is your friend :lol: if you go this route.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 15, 2009 - 10:00 AM

Interesting add-on you got here. I am learning at your expense. I remember you telling me that my bike seemed down on power the last time we rode together. I'm a better rider now so I could use a little snap on the low end. But I like the mellow nature of this beast. I don't want to change that too much.

thanks for the education...

regarding the forks... you've got the 46mm open bath forks. They desperately need to be reworked. I had my 46mm kayaba's on my yz done by Dave @smartperformance who also gave me the full build specs and shim stacks used incase I want to adjust the valving myself in the future. I think he will also sell you the parts and specs to rebuild your own if you want.

Swapping to the 05/06 or 07-up 48mm forks are the next step up. Ebay is your friend :lol: if you go this route.

Yeah, you're bike felt very down on power, and it had a big flat-spot on the bottom. It's easy to fix.

Isn't Smartperformance in San Francisco? That seems far to go.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 15, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, you're bike felt very down on power, and it had a big flat-spot on the bottom. It's easy to fix.

Isn't Smartperformance in San Francisco? That seems far to go.

I mailed the parts to him for $20. Its was easy.

You could even call Dave and he will ship you the parts necessary to rebuild your own fork and shock. He'll help you though it.

• erickdj

Posted February 15, 2009 - 06:11 PM

The hot setup is the yz fork swap.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.