Ricky stator upgrade?

62 replies to this topic
  • William1

Posted June 19, 2009 - 03:14 AM

Second one seems to be a generic ad for all bulb types. I noticed the H4 listing only mentioned one ballast.

At some point, I might break down and try the dual ballast type, even though I know a halogen reflector is not potimum for a HID bulb.

• phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Gotchya. No dual H4 version though. I'd heard of the bi-xenon's, never put 2+2 together.

I assume you would always keep the low beam lit and just toggle the high on and off.

Yes William, that is what I have installed on my WR (BiXeon). I did a test run in the mountains with Xeon, which was nice, but when I got on the gas in the straights, I was limited (scwared) to what I could see ahead. The very next night I popped the Bi-xeon, and I was gone. I was running a three way switch for that run, but I did as you told muah and ordered the relay-on/off hi/lo switch. I think I'm gonna hook up my starter to the horn switch and make the turn switch the kill. Either or, I will figure that out.:worthy:
Also, in the mountains bugs love this light, so be aware when you stop for adjustments, as I did.:lol:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 24, 2009 - 01:23 PM

The very next night I popped the Bi-xeon, and I was gone.

Was the basically dual HID with two ballasts? what stator setup are you running? floated ground or aftermarket?

• phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 01:24 PM

I'm getting a little closer to going HID myself. Can anyone tell me how good/bad the light output is on initial start up. I understand that it gets brighter the longer it stays on but what if your doing a lot of stops at night? Will I have to stand by after every stop so the light has a chance to brighten up? One more -Q, the HID is single filliment only right. So no way of having a Hi/Lo option on a WR? Is it so bright that a high beam is never needed anyway?

phynx, keep us updated on how yours comes out, S/T.

Snaggle- so far so good. I am running both hi/lo. I ran a 3 way switch last (off/lo/hi) week. I just ordered a full switch this week and gonna monkey w/ that once I get it. I will Youtube it for you, but video, or pictures do not justify the brightness, and once fully complete. I have one extra HID kit, let me know if you are interested. Reason why- I lost/misplaced a kit I ordered 7 months ago, to put on, ordered another kit 2 months ago, and long and behold found the first kit in my closet 2 weeks ago. Man was I pissed! :worthy:
I did also do the Baja stator mod sunday night.
IF you read the date I posted this thread it has been awhile I have been trying to set this up. Other than with no time, I just want to make sure I don't jack anything up.

• phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Was the basically dual HID with two ballasts? what stator setup are you running? floated ground or aftermarket?

1)No, one ballast and one buld (Bi-xeon)
2)I did the Baja mod w / there Recitifier
3)Straight to NEG terminal on battery.
I installed a "dual" as you said to my R6 (2 ballaster & 2 bulbs Bi-xeon), and I had to float the ground too, in the end. It took a bit of brain storming, because the instructions were for a car. When I asked for advice from the location I purchased from- they were lost. But in the end, I figured it out and it is good night riding with no complaints from me or other drivers.
Also the R6 has light relays like crazy, so that was even more for an un-easy install.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 24, 2009 - 01:59 PM

1)No, one ballast and one buld (Bi-xeon)

so that is one hid and ballast and then a hallogen bulb on the side? Sorry just trying to under stand:bonk:

Got any pictures or links to post up?

• phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 02:34 PM

so that is one hid and ballast and then a hallogen bulb on the side? Sorry just trying to under stand:bonk:

Got any pictures or links to post up?

My bike looks as stock was. It is just the one Bi-xeon bulb change with the one ballast. There is no extra. It looks like a normal WR. You would not see the difference unless you have the light on. I put the thin ballast w/velcro right behind the lighting cowl. Oh yea, the bike is not running while I hit the switch. Straight to the BATT.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:10 PM

It's kind of funny, you see halogen bulbs called "xenon" now because they happen to contain some xenon. HID bulbs are normally known as xenon, no filament, just the light arcing through the xenon. You also see bulbs advertised that are "bi-xenon" where you have hid for low beam and another halogen filament within the bulb that handles the high beam. True bi-xenon bulbs have both the high and low as hid and require two ballasts to the best of my knowledge. They seem a little tough to find, but here is what it should look like:
Posted Image

Notice that the location of each tube is staggered a little bit, focusing on a different part of the reflector in the light. This bulb would be the ultimate to do your low speed work and then add an additional switch for the high beam to turn that on when you running at a good clip and getting good charge to the battery.

• phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 05:38 PM

As stated- "True bi-xenon bulbs have both the high and low as hid and require two ballasts to the best of my knowledge."
Nope- there is just Xeon alone.
Nope again- Each bulb operates on one ballast, no matter high/low (bi-xeon), or just xeon. I have already installed a couple kits on my bikes (both kinds) and others.
Your bulb you have there I believe has a outer metal jacket half way, and should- It is better quality. But, I have seen other type of designs, one hologen and Xeon. There are just a lot out there. I guess it is what will work personally.
The truth is that there are A LOT of kits out there now, and some that say "HID bulb", but true HID requires a ballast in order for that HI function to operate. And with any real HID, it does not hook up in to the bulb directly to your stock light bulb. All voltage must go through the ballast and then to the light plug. I will check on this tonight. I am doing a full switch connection later on.
I think this thread is gonna get bigger with more people that have taken interest, but just scared to mess with there electrical system. :worthy:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 24, 2009 - 06:34 PM

As stated- "True bi-xenon bulbs have both the high and low as hid and require two ballasts to the best of my knowledge."
Nope again- Each bulb operates on one ballast, no matter high/low (bi-xeon), or just xeon. I have already installed a couple kits on my bikes (both kinds) and others.

I have never seen a bi-xenon bulb (2 hid tubes, not one hid and one halogen) work from only one ballast. Please see the picture below. The kit offered comes with 2 bulbs and 4 ballasts. If you look at the bulbs closely, each one as two black leads and two red leads for each bulb to plug into two ballasts. If you have a source where this setup can run from one ballast, please advise 'cause I'd love to know. Also would like to know with only one set of leads how the fuction of switching between low and high beam would happen. I fully realize a bi-xenon bulb using a combo of hid and halogen only needs one ballast for the hid low beam. Just want to make sure we're talking the same language here. Do you have a single ballast with 4 leads coming off it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...2:1171|240:1318

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted June 24, 2009 - 07:20 PM

I have never seen a bi-xenon bulb (2 hid tubes, not one hid and one halogen) work from only one ballast. Please see the picture below. The kit offered comes with 2 bulbs and 4 ballasts. If you look at the bulbs closely, each one as two black leads and two red leads for each bulb to plug into two ballasts. If you have a source where this setup can run from one ballast, please advise 'cause I'd love to know. Also would like to know with only one set of leads how the fuction of switching between low and high beam would happen. I fully realize a bi-xenon bulb using a combo of hid and halogen only needs one ballast for the hid low beam. Just want to make sure we're talking the same language here. Do you have a single ballast with 4 leads coming off it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...2:1171|240:1318

One ballest, a + and - lead. Like I said before there is a lot of stuff out there as you found. But all in all, have you looked at that diagram? One ballest.
Other than doing research, I have installed these. You are looking at wires on a photo that ends cannot be seen.
Last install was a single ballast with a pos neg lead- Bi-xeon bulb (2x xeon in one bulb, one hi and one lo). As a guy said earlier " That is why Bi-xeon means hi and lo." I know what you are talking about. I have a xeon hi with a hologen lo in my DRZ now and not the greatest. It also operates on one ballast. This bulb is all made inside one bulb. It looks weird, but you can actually see the difference. There is way too much stuff coming out of China nowadays. I don't know what you are looking at for reference, but go to Youtube, and also punch in H4 HID because H7 + others run a totally different wiring set up, and this is where you may be confused (no disrespect) on this ebay item. Maybe there is no standard way of running them? I don't know, but I have physically installed a handful (some different as you are describing, but all 2 leads one ball) and it is what I am describing.
I may be doing another WR this weekend or next week, and I will try to take photos or video for you if this is what you are looking to do. If not, I am not looking to that to prove what I am telling you is true. Thanks

Well, I gotta go connect that switch.
Peace

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 24, 2009 - 07:36 PM

This is exactly what I'm trying to do to my light, so I'm wondering where your source of bulbs like that are if they only require one ballast. I'm guessing you are still referring to the standard 35 watt ballast or is it a different type of ballast altogether? And I'm not doubting you, nor do you need to prove it to me, I have just not seen that kind of setup available. Finding true bi-xenon hid by itself is sometimes tricky. If you get a chance, a pic of the bulb including the leads would be great. :worthy:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 25, 2009 - 08:42 PM

I got my dual HID setup installed tonight, and to say the least, I think I need to upgrade the stock stator w/ the floated ground to either a Ricky Stator or Trail Tech stator...:worthy:

At idle with no lights on, I get 13.5 volts. With one hid fully lit, I get about 13 volts at idle and when I kicked on the second one, the volts dropped to 12.5. it did come up when I revved the motor a little to about 12.8

BUT...the light is sooooo nice :lol:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 26, 2009 - 04:52 PM

Your bulb you have there I believe has a outer metal jacket half way, and should- It is better quality. But, I have seen other type of designs, one hologen and Xeon. There are just a lot out there. I guess it is what will work personally.
The truth is that there are A LOT of kits out there now, and some that say "HID bulb", but true HID requires a ballast in order for that HI function to operate. And with any real HID, it does not hook up in to the bulb directly to your stock light bulb. All voltage must go through the ballast and then to the light plug. I will check on this tonight. I am doing a full switch connection later on.
I think this thread is gonna get bigger with more people that have taken interest, but just scared to mess with there electrical system. :lol:

One question;
Can you turn on BOTH, high AND low beam at the same time with your install???

That's what OUTERLIMITS is getting to, and wanting to accomplish.

... he and I will be working to complete a system where you have a true dual tungsten HID (TWO HIDS, One Bulb, 2 slim ballasts), that is capable of three settings. Low, High, or both low and high. However, you cannot run this on a stock stator output. It will require a rewind as you'll essentially be running TWO HIDs at one time when you want most light output.

I got my dual HID setup installed tonight, and to say the least, I think I need to upgrade the stock stator w/ the floated ground to either a Ricky Stator or Trail Tech stator...:worthy:

At idle with no lights on, I get 13.5 volts. With one hid fully lit, I get about 13 volts at idle and when I kicked on the second one, the volts dropped to 12.5. it did come up when I revved the motor a little to about 12.8

BUT...the light is sooooo nice :lol:

Nice... I guess we'll have to check it out this next coming weekend!!!

AND.... I'll show some pictures when I get more time (I'm late for dinner as I type) of the dual HID, dual option and what PHYNX's setup consists of... as I've seen a similar system, but couldn't find it again on my PC (I saved it somewhere in my 1terrabyte of space :lol:)

• phynx

Posted June 26, 2009 - 11:07 PM

What's up guys. I am just running hi/lo on my WR. I did not do that same time set up you are talking about. I don't think it will do anything because the high will supercede the low (Also, (stock) we have a small head lamp). Sounds pretty extreme. Are you guys running Baja? I have seen some extreme lighting in those races, but all different head lamps on the wr's. On the regular end, the full affect of HID is when you are riding at night away from the city. As long as you have street lighting everywhere, it is just an irritant to other drivers, plus tickets. You will not use them effectively unless it is fully dark. In the city you would be better off with a spot light.:worthy:
Give one bulb a shot and I think you guys will like that; if you're just using this around town or moderate night trail riding. I'm gonna post a couple of bulbs, but like everyone may know by now- there are so many bulbs out there with a 35 watt ballast, it's hard to say what is a standard.

From left to right, Hi/lo HID, HID lo, and HID hi/lo all from different makers. The ballaster plugs are all the same, except for the wiring harness, if you get one. They usually come with the hi/lo ones. I only had my camera phone, sorry.
Posted Image

This my R6 with very little street light above- HI/LO HID, w/ 2 4" head lamps- street fighter style
Also guys, there was a guy who changed his lamp out (pictured below) because you will only be able to get so much out of our stock Head lamp (small).
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is the guy that did the 8" head lamp w/HID. Maybe someone here knows his thread and how it came out. It looked pretty at the start.
Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted June 26, 2009 - 11:51 PM

Phynx, thanks for taking the time to post your pictures. I guess there was some confusion. In looking at your bulbs, it appears that the two on the outside (the hi/low hids) are the type that are telescopic where it moves the bulb back and forth inside the light housing placing the focus in different areas of the reflector, thus high and low beams.

What we are trying to do, is configure true bi-xenon lighting where it is two xenon hid tubes within one bulb and should look roughly like this one. Note that the two tubes are staggered, one acting on the reflector for low beam and the other acting as high beam. This bulb also shows (just barely) 4 leads.
Posted Image

The idea is for the desert only (high speed) and to have both lit at once. As far as I know it takes two ballasts to do that because they are 35 watt ballasts and each tube or each half of the bulb still needs 35 watts (apiece). The equivalent is roughly 330 watts of light as compared to halogen, yet drawing only 70 watts. And this is why I was confused as to why you said only two leads coming off the bulb as to do this it should have four leads.

Anyway, lots of vendors selling these bulbs in China, but they seem to be a little more scarce in the states.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 27, 2009 - 08:24 AM

My comments in bold;

What's up guys. I am just running hi/lo on my WR. I did not do that same time set up you are talking about.

JAT- Thanks Phynx, makes more sense now.

I don't think it will do anything because the high will supercede the low (Also, (stock) we have a small head lamp).

JAT- Actually, it'll work great. I already have this installed in my vehicle and a few friends vehicles. The trick portion of the install, is the ability to ride and use low beam. Then, when you really want to light up the trail... you turn on the high beam (leaving the low beam on as well). So realistically, you are running two HID lights. One is focused near, and the other far. It's incredibly bright in my truck... and is almost equivalent to using a pair of HID off-road lights!

Sounds pretty extreme. Are you guys running Baja? I have seen some extreme lighting in those races, but all different head lamps on the wr's.

JAT- It's really not that extreme at all. It's similar to your install of one HID. However, it's a different type HID bulb (like OUTERLIMITS picture) and TWO slim ballasts. Hence the reason for a rewound stator, as there'll be a large current draw from the battery.

On the regular end, the full affect of HID is when you are riding at night away from the city. As long as you have street lighting everywhere, it is just an irritant to other drivers, plus tickets. You will not use them effectively unless it is fully dark. In the city you would be better off with a spot light.:lol:
Give one bulb a shot and I think you guys will like that;

JAT- I've been using HID for years. I myself, have been running an HID headlight since '98 or '99 on a street-legal dirt bike. Proper adjustment and using the proper lens and reflector are what make using an HID enjoyable... for you, and oncoming vehicles when on the street. (in my opinion)

if you're just using this around town or moderate night trail riding. I'm gonna post a couple of bulbs, but like everyone may know by now- there are so many bulbs out there with a 35 watt ballast, it's hard to say what is a standard.

JAT- Standard is, and has been 35W Ballast, with a running draw of about 3amps. And a startup draw of up to 7amps.

And yes, thanks for posting the pics and explanations. Very cool of ya. The light that is common (but not DOT legal) and known to be a great light using HID is the Baja Designs "Diablo". Check it out sometime.... it's costly, but very clean and well thought out. :worthy:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 27, 2009 - 01:04 PM

Nice... I guess we'll have to check it out this next coming weekend!!!

Here is a sneak preview

Posted Image

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted June 27, 2009 - 01:32 PM

Here is a sneak preview

Posted Image

Very nice! A couple Fuegos....:worthy:

Don't you wish they were street legal!?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted June 27, 2009 - 02:23 PM

Don't you wish they were street legal!?

I have the stock head light converted to HID for the road :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.