06 WR450f Charging Problem

3 replies to this topic
  • 2DTrail

Posted February 13, 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hey Guys,

On my 06 WR450f - rode a couple times and battery went dead. Disconnected battery, bike started fine so I figured just a bad battery. Replaced the battery and she ran great for 2 rides, started fine, etc. Then speedo started to go wacky and next stop, e-start not working. I was about 10 miles out and by myself. I figured battery was going out again so I headed back to the barn and got to about 1/4mi from trailer and started sputtering, finally quit 10 feet from the trailer. Battery completely dead. Loaded up and went home. Removed the battery, kick started the bike, and tested Voltage from the battery leads (not connected to battery, but bike running). Tested at 6v. As I rev it, Voltage drops down to as low as 3 (didn't want to rev it too much sitting in the garage but got it up pretty high). :lol:

Have read everything I could find on & TT. See several other instances of similar issues, but not what they did to resolve it. I have been through the manual and will pull the tank and start the testing procedures as outlined in the manual, but won't have time till beginning of next week.

Does anyone have an idea of what's up? Is this typical of a bad stator or regulator? Or do I need more info to determine? Is testing voltage at the battery leads useful for anything? Like to have an idea of what I'm getting into prior to jumping in.

PS: Tried charging both of the batteries overnight at 1amp but even with that neither battery had the juice to turn over the starter. Won't put in another till I have resolved any issues (hopefully!).

Thanks!

Paul

• William1

Posted February 14, 2009 - 03:46 AM

You need to have the battery in place to check the output, it stabilizes and puts a proper load on the system. Sounds like you need a new battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2DTrail

Posted February 14, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Added a new battery, just went dead again.

• mrkimrkonja

Posted July 02, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hey Guys,

On my 06 WR450f - rode a couple times and battery went dead. Disconnected battery, bike started fine so I figured just a bad battery. Replaced the battery and she ran great for 2 rides, started fine, etc. Then speedo started to go wacky and next stop, e-start not working. I was about 10 miles out and by myself. I figured battery was going out again so I headed back to the barn and got to about 1/4mi from trailer and started sputtering, finally quit 10 feet from the trailer. Battery completely dead. Loaded up and went home. Removed the battery, kick started the bike, and tested Voltage from the battery leads (not connected to battery, but bike running). Tested at 6v. As I rev it, Voltage drops down to as low as 3 (didn't want to rev it too much sitting in the garage but got it up pretty high). :worthy:

Have read everything I could find on & TT. See several other instances of similar issues, but not what they did to resolve it. I have been through the manual and will pull the tank and start the testing procedures as outlined in the manual, but won't have time till beginning of next week.

Does anyone have an idea of what's up? Is this typical of a bad stator or regulator? Or do I need more info to determine? Is testing voltage at the battery leads useful for anything? Like to have an idea of what I'm getting into prior to jumping in.

PS: Tried charging both of the batteries overnight at 1amp but even with that neither battery had the juice to turn over the starter. Won't put in another till I have resolved any issues (hopefully!).

Thanks!

Paul

I have the same problem on my 04 WR450.
I changed the rotor - magnet - nothing happend
Then I changed the stator - becouse the wires were burned - nothing realy happend (it is a stronger one so the lights are burning brighter, before they were dimed)
now i supose it is a bad regulator/rectifier
- but i it ony hafl bad, becouse the light do work (i read somwhere that lightr work on alternating curent and CDI and batery on DC)
- when i disconect the R/R the bike wont start and ther is now lights
- but the batery is not charging
- i tried tu check the R/R with multimeter and it seems ony one diode pair is not working - so i gues thats why we only get half the voltage 6V instead of 12V

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.