li moly No. 2 grease for impeller oil seals?

7 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 13, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Hello.

I've spent the day hunting for lightweight lithium soap base grease as specified in the 07 manual. Zero luck. Best I could buy was li moly no 2 grease. Would this be sufficient? iirc its rated to 130 centigrade.

thanks.

• ggbshe

Posted March 01, 2009 - 05:04 PM

Bump...

What kind of grease are y'all using on your WR... just any water proof grease suffice????

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 05, 2009 - 06:18 AM

hello ggbshe. A man at yamaha said i could use vasaline.But having dropped a few ££ on parts, I wound up spraying the seals with liquid lithium grease & using lithium moly no 2 (medium) grease to lube the impeller seals to. Seems to be ok. Spent ages trying to get lightweight lithium grease but my local motor shops did not stock this product.

• ggbshe

Posted March 05, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Vasaline....that seems strange... Thanks for the imput. I need to do the impeller seal too. How much lube do the seals need? just on the lip??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 05, 2009 - 09:26 PM

Vasaline....that seems strange... Thanks for the imput. I need to do the impeller seal too. How much lube do the seals need? just on the lip??

Thats what i thought as well .:p The manager of my local yamaha shop said i could use vaseline :ride:. I think vaseline is a petroleum product, but there was no way I was going to use vaseline having spent a small fortune on parts and fluids. Yes the manual states to lube just the lip.

• NortonMoto

Posted March 06, 2009 - 12:09 AM

I used wheel bearing lube and its works fine,Don't stress too much about it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Vaseline is a petroleum product, and is perfectly OK to use for assembling oil seals, even if it doesn't cost a fortune.

Almost any petroleum based automotive grease will do, really, and your elusive lithium grease is nothing more than good old white "Lubri-plate". Should be available most anywhere.

On the coolant side, though, I like to fill the gap between the inner and outer facing lips of the seal with an EP bearing grease containing moly.

If you get tired of the impeller shafts getting grooved by the coolant seal, CV4 now makes a hardened and nitride coated replacement shaft for $45.

• maincrash

Posted March 06, 2009 - 05:46 PM

I did my seals,shaft and bearing rode for three hours and it started leaking again today:foul:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.