Re considering WR 450 for a YZ 450

14 replies to this topic
  • yamahaulerbillh1

Posted February 11, 2003 - 05:13 PM

I am thinking of getting the YZ 450 instead of the WR 450. I like to ride the desert thats why I was considering the WR. Hearing about all the minor problems on the WR has me hesitating on what to buy. Spending $6500 I want to make it count. Get the biggest bang for my buck. I am looking for some opinions. Thanks

YAMAHAULER

• ddialogue

Posted February 11, 2003 - 05:16 PM

If you're mainly going to ride Jericho, Cherry Creek, etc. then I would say the YZ450 will be great. If you're going to go east of Eureka and ride in the forests, the WR will be a better machine. Just my opinion.

• x2smoker

Posted February 11, 2003 - 05:29 PM

I know you guys won't like this comment. Seriously, if you are going MX, I'ld give RED some consideration. Just a thought.

x2

• SMD

Posted February 11, 2003 - 06:27 PM

No offense taken x2smoker. If I was a young man and MX only I would never discount Big Red. The CR450 is a great bike.
Ahh...... back in the day. :)

• ekemner

Posted February 12, 2003 - 11:03 AM

I was in the same boat as you. I talked with people that have ridden both and what I have heard from Many not just one is this. The YZ450F top speed is about 75 mph, It gets about 35 to 40 miles on one tank of gas. They all felt that compared to the YZ450 the WR was lazy which I am sure it is. They said for large jumps the WR was not so good and that the YZ was better. They also said that for ruts the WR was great and the YZ was pretty stiff. They all did not like the 23 lbs of extra weight and they all said that the YZ450F started so easy that there was no need for a e-start. One guy told me he had a WR426 and loved it till he was stuck in the Mud and then it was heavy. He said the final staw was when 2 CRF450s passed him on each side. He went and bought a YZ450F and said he has never looked back and that it is the best bike he has ever used in the woods. They all said the same thing that they felt it was easier to detune the YZ450F for CC than to bring the WR motor and suspension up to good CC standards. I have been thinking about this for a long time and today I sat on a WR at a dealer and tossed it from side to side and did the same on the YZF and you can feel the weight differnce. The one thing I did like on the YZF was the exhaust system, It is a work of art and you can add a PMB arrestor and silencer to it. I bought the YZF and pick it up on saturday. Hope this helps.

Eric :)

• JADENHYRUM

Posted February 12, 2003 - 12:00 PM

I would prefer the yz with wr trans!

• Superbike

Posted February 12, 2003 - 12:25 PM

I was in this very boat. When Yamaha went to the fourspeed they forced me and alot of others to the WR. The YZ 1st gear is to tall for enduro type woods. I have a 2000 YZ 426 and while most of the time it is fine. When you get into the bar banging trees and stall the YZ a million times you will not be happy. This happend on the YZ in several tight woods sections and trust me you will wear yourself out on the clutch. AND The YZ 450 ist gear is almost as tall as second on my YZ 426! In my situation the WR was the only choice. I do not have to buy the lighting coil either. If you are not doing moto you will be better off with the WR and stripping it down. Even ditch the estart and put on a YZ ignition cover. I guess it really depends on how tight of woods you want to ride and how fast of top speed you want. Yes the YZ will be a better moto bike, but you can set the suspension on the WR just the same. Springs and a revalve from a good tuner will get you what you need. If it is a ego thing of not wanting a foofy enduro bike, buy a plate and new rear fender. :D This is why I went WR. I hope it helps. Yes, you could strip a lot of wieght off the WR and have what you want. Lazy? well I bet it will put a lot more power to the ground in a lot of situations. Ohh, this is no volcano tanked WR 426 either! :) ----Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ekemner

Posted February 12, 2003 - 04:58 PM

Do you know that the gearing in the WR is almost the same as the YZ426. It is, I checked with Yamaha and they used the gearing from the 426 so now what can you say. 1st gear may be tall in the 450 but a 8 oz flywheel weight and the low end in the yz450f should make woods flying no problem. :D :) :D

• Superbike

Posted February 12, 2003 - 05:50 PM

What do I say? Let's go riding, I will show you. :D Say Wolverine. Better yet lets make it Sandtown? Oh, you must stick to Leota and bull gap! Then who needs first gear anyway. I would have bought the CRF first for woods. :D Your YZ will be fun in the woods but my WR will be faster. The right tool for the job ya know! If the YZ 450 would have had the same gearing as my YZ 426 I would have bought it instead. I am checking gear ratio's since I have both manuals. I guess we will find out soon enough. :) What was your last bike?----Mike

• ekemner

Posted February 13, 2003 - 04:56 PM

My last bike was a KX250 and it was up to now the best and fastest woods bike I have ever run. KTM and WR would get out of my way as they were never fast enough. I plan on being even faster on the YZ450F :)

• Superbike

Posted February 14, 2003 - 01:46 AM

Yes the KX is a KILLER woods bike. I think you will like the YZ. It was a toss up for me. I could use someone who moves out to trail ride with once in a while. I have passed most of my buddies and could use someone to push me. It is not the WR just the rider :) Drop me a line msg-law@msn.com ---Mike

• blackie

Posted February 14, 2003 - 02:53 AM

IMO, the YZ is actually an awesome desert bike and a great woods bike. I have never had any stalling problem unless I am foolish enough to try to climb some horrific hill and get sideways.

BTW x2smoker, I have to disagree with your take on the CRF. The CRF makes a great MX bike because the power delivery is tame and manageable. Put it's tame engine in the desert where you want raw power and it is going to fail next to the YZ. As they said in the last issue of Motocross Action, the YZ isn't for weak men.

Regarding gearing... True, the YZ gearing is meant for the MX track. It's top speed is probably around 50 - 60 mph. It is true that a WR will beat it on a long straightaway, but the YZ is a blast to throw around and isn't fatiguing to ride like the WR on tight trails due to the YZ's light, nimble feel. This is probably the biggest difference I noticed when I sold my 2001 WR and purchased the YZ. It just handles like a dream.

Just my 2 cents,

John

• r1superstar

Posted February 14, 2003 - 01:03 PM

I am thinking of getting the YZ 450 instead of the WR 450. I like to ride the desert thats why I was considering the WR. Hearing about all the minor problems on the WR has me hesitating on what to buy. Spending $6500 I want to make it count. Get the biggest bang for my buck. I am looking for some opinions. Thanks

Look around for a used or brand new WR426FP (if you can still find one).

• r1superstar

Posted February 14, 2003 - 01:07 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I talked with people that have ridden both and what I have heard from Many not just one is this. The YZ450F top speed is about 75 mph, It gets about 35 to 40 miles on one tank of gas. They all felt that compared to the YZ450 the WR was lazy which I am sure it is. They said for large jumps the WR was not so good and that the YZ was better. They also said that for ruts the WR was great and the YZ was pretty stiff. They all did not like the 23 lbs of extra weight and they all said that the YZ450F started so easy that there was no need for a e-start. One guy told me he had a WR426 and loved it till he was stuck in the Mud and then it was heavy. He said the final staw was when 2 CRF450s passed him on each side. He went and bought a YZ450F and said he has never looked back and that it is the best bike he has ever used in the woods. They all said the same thing that they felt it was easier to detune the YZ450F for CC than to bring the WR motor and suspension up to good CC standards. I have been thinking about this for a long time and today I sat on a WR at a dealer and tossed it from side to side and did the same on the YZF and you can feel the weight differnce. The one thing I did like on the YZF was the exhaust system, It is a work of art and you can add a PMB arrestor and silencer to it. I bought the YZF and pick it up on saturday. Hope this helps.

Sorry for digging this thread up from the archives, but I could not resist commenting on your post.

75 MPH top speed on a YZ450F? BUWAHAHAHAHA!! Are you serious? Please check your figures again.

Now for your statement about the mud story and the WR being too heavy therefore getting stuck? The heavier the better in the mud (more traction). And your buddy was probably a crappy rider to have two Hondas blast past him. Seriously man, that was just TOO funny!.
:D

Peace...............db :)

P.S. I love my WR426FP and I can't wait to get it on a MX track.

• The_Blue_One

Posted February 14, 2003 - 03:29 PM

Do you know that the gearing in the WR is almost the same as the YZ426

The wr450 gearing is the same as the wr426 not the yz.Both bikes are breat and the wr can be lightend.I had a yz450 and sold it for the wr450.I ride mainly trails and starting up in enduros.I didn't like the yzs gearing and never found a happy compromise.I am so far very happy with the wr love everything about the bike and have had no problems yet.I think with out the E-start the bikes would be close in weight and it's not really needed.The wr starts just as easy as the yz.

I would try to swing a leg over each.Then decide which you like better.I wouldn't let the woodruff key sway you from the Wr.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.