Chain rubbing the guide...

3 replies to this topic
  • adens13

Posted February 12, 2009 - 10:14 PM

99 yz400. my chain is rubbing the bottom and sides of the chain guide. 13 51 sprockets. any solutions? i'm afraid it could damage the chain in the long run. i just got new chain and sprockets but the old one rubbed too. they are primary drive...i know not the best but i'm on a college budget. are there any aftermarket guides that are wider?...thanks

• Wiz636

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:26 AM

Make sure that your stocker is not just bent causing excessive wear. You can remove it and straighten it out and then just buy a new insert or liner. However, your best bet is to go with a TM Designworks or a BRP chain guide although they don't exactly fit into a college budget.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:52 AM

It's not unusual for the chain to run against the guide. If you can apply tension on the top run of chain, so that it draws the bottom one tight, and see that there is clearance on 3 sides, It's OK. If not, then check for it being bent as Wiz said.

The only thing that might be abnormal is a bit of extra drag on the bottom of the guide/outside of the chain because of the 51 (stock was a 48 or 49). Under normal conditions, the chain will show wear along the outside and inside edges of the plates, and also on the master link clip. If you have a longer lasting chain, you may have to replace the clip before the chain itself is worn beyond the service limit.

• adens13

Posted February 14, 2009 - 05:06 PM

thanks guys!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.