Jetting (jet questions) which one starter and what one pilot??

7 replies to this topic
  • ysr50speed

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:14 PM

So I looked in the jetting section and looked on sudco's website for a diagram of the carb. They only list a main jet and slow jet. The jetting list on this forum says main jet, pilot and starter. I ordered the right jets but I may have ordered the starter and pilot jet backwards. Which one has the emultion tube on it(pilot or starter)? Thanks

• William1

Posted February 13, 2009 - 03:39 AM

Starter jet size is typically a #68, pilot jet is a #45

Pilot jet is long (about 1-1/4") the starter jet is short (about 3/8")

Pilot jet fits up in a recess and has the little holes on the sides.

• giants922003

Posted February 13, 2009 - 06:49 AM

I look in the clymer book and it states the starter jet (WR400) is a 65, I look on micro fish and the starter jet is listed between 78-82. Is the starter jet only used during start up or is it being used through out running, and which is the correct size?

• William1

Posted February 13, 2009 - 09:04 AM

Starter jet only is in use when the 'choke' (actually, it is an enricher) is on. Please notice my correction above.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 13, 2009 - 09:06 AM

I look in the clymer book and it states the starter jet (WR400) is a 65, I look on micro fish and the starter jet is listed between 78-82. Is the starter jet only used during start up or is it being used through out running, and which is the correct size?

What year WR400? Always go by the fiche. There will be the letters (STD) for the standard/stock size, alternate parts have a (AP). Clymer manuals should never be trusted for specifications. They are right about 50% of the time and wrong every time you do need an exact figure.

• giants922003

Posted February 13, 2009 - 10:48 AM

it is a 98 wr. I have been going by the fiche, even confirmed it with the local dealer.

• William1

Posted February 13, 2009 - 11:54 AM

I just looked in the fiche, it shows both this:
SKU: 3TJ-1494F-20-00 JET (#82) UR STD
and this:
SKU: 3TJ-1494F-20-00 JET (#82) AP

A little double talking if you ask me. But, I suspect it issupposed to be a #82. Not a real biggie unless the only time the choke works is when it is friggin' frezzing. Bike hard to start with the choke otherwise? Only time you should not need the choke is with a hot engine.

• giants922003

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:59 PM

The bike starts fine, never cold in Houston, just lately it runs like a turd as mentioned in the intake section. I was doing the "octopus" to eliminate vacume error and the things I read about the air jetting conserned me since my jets were so different. Info on air jets are welcomed.
However, I think I found why it ran so bad....bad oring on the mixture screw.
Sorry for the thread steal

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.