2000 426... any steel clutch baskets?

4 replies to this topic
  • rmx

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:47 PM

I have searched but no success. I did find some for other models so I hope I just need help with what fits. I have seen some posts on adding wieght to the flywheel to calm the beast at slower speeds and also seems that the aluminum basket wears easily. If this is a bad idea please tell me why, and thanks for any help :lol:

• Birdy426

Posted February 12, 2009 - 11:11 PM

Barnet makes some baskets with stainless steel "inserts" on the fingers, more for wear than inertia. While making the basket from steel would add some rotating mass, because the mass is distributed along the entire "base" of the basket, rather than at the outer edge, it's not quite as efficient. You get a bigger increase in mass moment of inertia the farther away that the weight is from the "axle".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2009 - 12:29 AM

Additional clutch weight is a poor way to increase crankshaft inertia because it turns so slowly and is driven by a reduction gear from the crank.

On the first point, clutch turns only 38% as fast as the engine, and since the rotational inertia depends more on the speed than the mass, there simply is not going to be as much avaiable.

Second, the clutch is at a mechanical disadvantage vs. the crank. When the inertia of the clutch tries to resist the crank accelerating, the engine has a 2.66:1 advantage because of the gear ratio, and accelerates the clutch easily in spite of additional mass. When the clutch inertia tries to resist the engine decelerating, it has to try to drive the crank through a ratio of 0.375:1, basically a huge overdrive ratio.

• Wiz636

Posted February 13, 2009 - 12:42 PM

Rekluse makes a very nice clutch basket...it's a work of art actually.

Barnett makes a clutch basket with SS liners to prevent notching

Hinson makes an all steel clutch basket

The flywheel effect from the steel clutch basket will be minimal though as others have said.

• 642MX

Posted February 14, 2009 - 06:15 AM

I replaced my basket with an OEM. The factory basket lasted over 5 years.... not too shabby for a stock part. Plus, it wasn't that expensive.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.