Rear shock wiggle

9 replies to this topic
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 11, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Ok, I searched around a bit but want to be sure. 01 426. When on the stand and rear wheel is unloaded, I can grab the wheel and pull up on it. the swing arm moves up about an inch before it sees resistance from the shock. Is this too much? There is no side to side movement. Just up and down. Also i noticed when pulling up on it, and standing facing nitrogen reservoir, if I grab the nitrogen reservoir, I can wiggle it left to right a bit. Is this normal?

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:41 PM

The rotational movement is OK. The shock is hung on spherical bearings.

But an inch of vertical at the the axle is quite excessive. Have someone move the swing arm while you feel each pivot point to detect where the movement is. Be sure to check the vertical motion at the top shock pivot as well.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:45 PM

thanks, for the reply, I will have my dad pull up on wheel, and will get back to you

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:34 PM

Ok, good news, I once again live up to my noob name. I guestimated how much slop up and down the linkage moved. When I measured with a tape the up/down movement was about a quarter inch give or take a hair. I guess that backs up the old saying that looks are decieving. So about how much is normal Gray?

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:45 AM

If all of that was the result of looseness at a single pivot point or two, it might be problematic. If it's a total of all the clearance at the whole rear linkage, it's not so bad. What you see at the axle is roughly 3 times what there is at the linkage. Still, you should check it out and see where it's coming from. Shock bearings are the most likely culprit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:29 AM

it looks to me like it was coming from the top bushing under the seat and the lower one, where the bottom of the shock bolts up. The other places looked pretty solid.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:35 AM

Shock bearings. They tend to have a little slack in them as it is, but if it seems excessive, replace them.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:40 AM

okay, thanks gray, like I said the axle only moves up about 1/4 inch and between the two bearings, from what I have read is not that bad, but I will tear it down and replace them very soon.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:42 AM

okay, thanks gray, like I said the axle only moves up about 1/4 inch and between the two bearings, from what I have read is not that bad, but I will tear it down and replace them very soon.
PS: the book says that they are pressed in. Will I need to have them pressed out by a shop or are they under a small load, enough to where they can be replaced at home?

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 11:54 AM

You can probably do them yourself, but it may be worth the small price it should cost to carry your shock in and have it done.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.