Dr. D Exhaust

11 replies to this topic
  • yama4life07

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:58 PM

OK SO HERE IS MY DILEMA I BOUGHT A DR D SPARK ARRESTOR EXHAUST OFF OF A GUY AND IT IS NOT LINING UP WITH MY STOCK HEADER PIPE. I GOT A SMOKIN DEAL BUT I FOUND OUT LATER THAT YOU NEED THE HEADER PIPE AS WELL. I AM WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE CUT THE STOCK 2007 YZ450F EXHAUST MANAFOLD TO MAKE ONE OF THESE THING FIT. i DO NOT WANT TO BUT THE DR D HEADER CAUSE IT WOULD MAKE CHANGING MY OIL A NIGHTMARE. ANY HELP WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 02:42 PM

Your first dilemma is that you type with the Caps Lock on, which makes everyone think you're yelling at them.

Next, loosening one header bolt and prying the pipe out of the way hardly qualifies as a nightmare in my world, but you can solve the problem the way I did, if you like. Get a slightly longer bolt than the one in the front of the filter cover and cut the head off it. Make a stud out of it by threading the end, and screw it into the hole occupied by the long bolt. Cut it down so that just enough thread extends for a lock nut, and then cut a slot in the end of it. LocTite it in place. The slot can be used to keep the stud from backing out with the nut, and you should be able to get the nut and cover off without moving the header.

• mx614

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:20 PM

I have the Dr.D full system on my 07 yz450 and I think he could have done a better job on the clearance for oil filter changes. I mean come on 500.00 for a pipe and you either have to make a stud or wrestle the header to change the filter. Also packing life is poor as well, maybe 10hrs.

• yama4life07

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:23 PM

I am thinking about cutting the stock header to fit the Dr D exhaust. Do you think that that is possible?

• Dan_187

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Your first dilemma is that you type with the Caps Lock on, which makes everyone think you're yelling at them.

hahahaha you tell em man !

• yama4life07

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:25 PM

Wow I didn't know that this site was filled with computer and typing teachers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:31 PM

Wow I didn't know that this site was filled with computer and typing teachers.

It's nice to see that you learn, though.

I am thinking about cutting the stock header to fit the Dr D exhaust. Do you think that that is possible?

If you have both pipes, you should be able to tell whether the diameters match up at the point where it will slide together once the header is cut. If it physically fits together, it should work alright. Remember that the header is titanium, and quite thin, so don't plan to weld it unless you're an accomplished TIG operator.

• yama4life07

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thank you for your advice I will take all of that into consideration and keep you guys posted.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:28 PM

I have the DRD full system on my 07 and I do not have to loosen the header pipe to change the oil filter. The top oil filter bolt just barely clears the header pipe on mine. No worries here.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:40 AM

I have the DRD full system on my 07 and I do not have to loosen the header pipe to change the oil filter. The top oil filter bolt just barely clears the header pipe on mine. No worries here.

Production variance. Most of the new style DRD headers interfere with the bolt.

• yama4life07

Posted February 12, 2009 - 02:33 PM

Well I am going to see what happends tonight when I try to cut both the pipe and the stock exhaust manafold. Wish me luck.

• yama4life07

Posted February 13, 2009 - 11:57 AM

So far so good everything has been going well so far I will post a pic of the finished product. No leaks so far and it feels really good but we will see tomarrow when I take it out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.