2002 WR426 plug wire upgrade?

14 replies to this topic
  • Red3171

Posted February 11, 2009 - 12:07 PM

Is it possible to use a 2003+ WR450 coil on plug wire on my 2002 WR426? I don't want to cut and splice my factory wiring harness; I want to make it plug in and go. Has anyone done it without cutting the factory harness, or retrofitted the 2002 to a new model wiring harness? And yes, I've seen the coil on plug upgrade using a '99 Lincoln coil.

Thanks,
Red

• Birdy426

Posted February 12, 2009 - 12:01 AM

The 450 coil is basically the same as an R1 coil...ame denso part number. I am running one on my 01 426. You don't have to cut into the stock harness...you can just splice on to the existing wires, though that does create a fair "service loop" that you have to stow. I cut mine short to minimize congestion. The hard part is finding the connectors...

I bought a set (4) of R1 coils with the harness when I did my conversion. I still have 3 sitting in box in the garage. PM me if you're interested in buying one...$25 bucks plus shipping for the coil and connector...

• ncampion

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:29 AM

Birdy has a good deal. I converted my 400 to coil on plug but had a hard time finding the connector. Finally bought an entire wiring harness on ebay just to get the connector. Overall it works great.

• byggd

Posted February 12, 2009 - 01:22 PM

The 450 coil is basically the same as an R1 coil...ame denso part number. I am running one on my 01 426. You don't have to cut into the stock harness...you can just splice on to the existing wires, though that does create a fair "service loop" that you have to stow. I cut mine short to minimize congestion. The hard part is finding the connectors...

I bought a set (4) of R1 coils with the harness when I did my conversion. I still have 3 sitting in box in the garage. PM me if you're interested in buying one...$25 bucks plus shipping for the coil and connector...

PM sent

• Red3171

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:59 PM

PM sent

• Red3171

Posted February 24, 2009 - 07:58 PM

OK, I've got the R1 coil and connector, but am a little unsure how the wiring goes. My frame mounted stock coil has one wire on the bottom connected via a spade lug, but the R1 coil and connector has two wires, an orange and red. Where do both of those connect?

Thanks,
Red

• byggd

Posted February 26, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Birdy, do you know what year R1 the coils came off of? Maybe I can dig up a wiring diagram.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red3171

Posted February 26, 2009 - 08:18 AM

Byggd,
Did you get a set from Birdy as well? I found a picture with a Hayabusa coil and connector with a yellow and black wire, but the R1 wiring is red and orange. I want to make sure I get the wiring right so I don't mess anything up.

Red

• SXP

Posted February 26, 2009 - 11:47 AM

Here's a copy/paste of my PM with Birdy:

I received the plug today - thanks. Do you remember how to wire it up? Does it matter which wire from the wiring harness (one has a spade connector and the other a ring connector (ground?)) connects to which wire on the coil? Does it still need to be grounded? Also, does the rubber boot on the coil seal the plug hole or can water get down in there? Thanks.

Glad you got it. The boot seals quite well. You may want to put a bit of dialectric grease (spark plug boot grease from Autoznone) on both the lower boot that seals to the plug and the upper boot that seals to the valve cover to make it easier to get off. Yes, it does need to be grounded. The red w/black stripe wire on the new coil harness was the common if I remeber right. It needs to go direct to ground. The orange and black wire on the new coil goes to the spade connector on the bike's harness. I went ahead and reattached the black wire with the ring connector on it to the same ground as the red/black wire from the coil, as I didn't know if it was a ground for anything else. Once I made sure the bike worked well, I went ahead and cut the old coil tabs off the frame to clean that area up a bit more.

I'm going from memory on the color of the wires in the harness...I shipped off all of the connectors I had, and mine is shrink sleeved into a harness so I can't see what the colors really are. If my memory isn't so good, let me know and I will pullt eh wires out to verify.

• Red3171

Posted February 26, 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks SXP, I'll give that a try. The wiring connections that you describe match what I found on another member using a Hayabusa coil and connector. His connector had black and yellow wiring matching our red and orange on our connectors. He had his black wire connected to ground, and the yellow attached to the wire from that spade connector.

Thanks,
Red

• byggd

Posted February 26, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Here's a copy/paste of my PM with Birdy:

Thanks SXP!

Byggd,
Did you get a set from Birdy as well? I found a picture with a Hayabusa coil and connector with a yellow and black wire, but the R1 wiring is red and orange. I want to make sure I get the wiring right so I don't mess anything up.

Yes I did, Should have it all hooked up this weekend and take it for a :lol: !

• Red3171

Posted February 26, 2009 - 04:58 PM

SXP,
I'm gonna get mine hooked up tonight, and hopefully ride tomorrow morning....:-)

Red

• Birdy426

Posted February 26, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Guys-Sorry I didn't get to answer your PMs...been busy at work and gettin' home late this week. It really doesn't matter which wire coming from the coil gets connected to power and which gets connected to ground...it's DC. Just connect one wire to the hot wire (spade connector) in the existing harness and the other to ground and you'll be good to go.

Birdy

• Red3171

Posted February 26, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Thanks Birdy,
I've been real busy it work too, so I completely understand. Thanks for posting the instructions. I'll let you know how I like it once it's done.

Red

• SXP

Posted February 27, 2009 - 06:38 AM

It really doesn't matter which wire coming from the coil gets connected to power and which gets connected to ground...it's DC. Birdy

Did you mean AC?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.