07 450 Intake

20 replies to this topic
  • YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:23 AM

Just curious if anyone knows of an aftermarket intake I could experiment with?

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:27 AM

Intake what? Cam? Valve? Air boot?

• YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:37 AM

Air intake. I already have cams- I want to modify my air intake- I've seen a few CRF with no box running a ron woods

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:40 AM

What is it you hope to gain by this? What kind of riding are you doing?

• YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:47 AM

Simple, less restriction more air flow. I ride mostly sand. I'm just looking for everything out of my bike. Every little bit helps . . .well I at least hope so lol. My bike has exhaust, hc piston, stage 2 cams, and P&P.

• ace402

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:03 AM

If you're riding sand the last thing that you would want to change in my opinion is the intake. You need the best filtration possible. If you still must have more power after all of your mods I would either go with a big bore kit or loose some weight. Better yet do both. I'm not trying to poke fun at you but weight can make a huge difference.

• YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 10:49 AM

:lol: haha thanks. I don't need to lose weight I'm barely a buck fifty soaking wet lol. And I understand filtration but I run a ron woods with outwear and it does just fine on my girls YFZ. I was just seeing if anybody knew of any intakes. And it a disease, people always want more power. I dunno it's just fun to see the guys face after you beet his $9,000+ 6mill banshee up sand mountain. :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:14 AM

The air boot on an '07 is already a tuned part of the intake tract. Even if it were not optimal, there is so little to be gained from a performance standpoint that you'd be almost as well off to send me the money you'd spend on it.

Contact Ron Hamp Cycle about getting your carb bored out if you really think you want to do something that will actually help.

• MATTH530

Posted February 11, 2009 - 01:10 PM

AFE makes a aries ae2 intake system it seals to the air box and changes the filter to 2 piece paper type. Im sure you can get this from thumper talk store.
MATT

• YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:52 PM

I've already had venom do the carb thanks. Ad thanks matt, i'll look into it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • harrperf

Posted February 11, 2009 - 03:57 PM

who did the head?

You might be interested in different cams as well....I know you already have hot cams...But I promise you web camshafts and others can get you a profile that works much better (will of course need springs)

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:26 PM

who did the head?

You might be interested in different cams as well....I know you already have hot cams...But I promise you web camshafts and others can get you a profile that works much better (will of course need springs)

Yeah, HC Stage II is not really very far up the ladder as far as serious performance goes.

• Zaj 243

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:06 PM

here is a pic of a ron wood intake on a '06 YZ450F. This is my flattrack bike that is being stripped and rebuilt. I also ran this same intake on my 426F flattrack bike. I would not recommend it for a day of sand riding, unless your doing short runs. I am not a fan of the K&N filter in those conditions, even on flattrack's I still run the prefilter at ALL times. This intake is good for a small gain in extreme top end power, and i'm sure it takes some off the bottom due to the large diameter compared to the stock air boot.
Posted Image

And a pic of it on the old faithful 426
Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 11, 2009 - 09:44 PM

here is a pic of a ron wood intake on a '06 YZ450F. This is my flattrack bike that is being stripped and rebuilt. I also ran this same intake on my 426F flattrack bike. I would not recommend it for a day of sand riding, unless your doing short runs. I am not a fan of the K&N filter in those conditions, even on flattrack's I still run the prefilter at ALL times. This intake is good for a small gain in extreme top end power, and i'm sure it takes some off the bottom due to the large diameter compared to the stock air boot.
Posted Image

And a pic of it on the old faithful 426
Posted Image

Thats about the coolest looking flat tracker Ive seen yet. Awesome job.

• YZjorge

Posted February 11, 2009 - 11:02 PM

Venom did the head as well. I've been looking into the webs but I just don't know which grind I wanna go with.

See thats exactly what the CRF looked like, and I'll have to agree with 426 very good looking bike.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 07:52 AM

I am not a fan of the K&N filter in those conditions, even on flattrack's I still run the prefilter at ALL times.

The K&N is actually capable of being a better filter than foam, both from the standpoint of filtration and air flow, IF they are thoroughly and completely oiled. The problem with that is that it's much harder to accomplish that than it is with foam.

• ace402

Posted February 12, 2009 - 08:07 AM

The K&N is actually capable of being a better filter than foam, both from the standpoint of filtration and air flow, IF they are thoroughly and completely oiled. The problem with that is that it's much harder to accomplish that than it is with foam.

I would agree on airflow, but filtration? Granted this is from a foam filter manufacturer but at least on the surface it seems to make sense. I'm open to hearing other opinions but saying a K&N filters better that a foam filter just doesn't seem right.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I would agree on airflow, but filtration? Granted this is from a foam filter manufacturer but at least on the surface it seems to make sense. I'm open to hearing other opinions but saying a K&N filters better that a foam filter just doesn't seem right.

I can't link to the source, but I have seen a study by an independent lab that supports that. All air filters have their limits, of course.

The K&N flowed a fairly significant amount of air over the foam elements tested (3 were tested). It also allowed a smaller amount of fine dust to pass. But they also mentioned that the filter was difficult to properly oil so that there were no unoiled areas, and none that were clogged by an excess, and that filters in this condition performed poorly.

Foam itself has almost no ability to filter anything finer than coarse sand, and is completely dependent on the media being coated with an interceptor (sticky filter oil) to capture the dust as it passes through. Gauze elements have some native ability to snag dirt and dust the same way paper elements do, but since the media is so much more open than the fiber mat in the "paper" filters, they also depend on oil to a great extent.

The advantage that foam has is in the fact that one can apply oil to them and squeeze and knead them, working the oil well into and through the media with reasonable ease. Not so pleated gauze. Obviously, people can and frequently do service foam incorrectly, but it happens much less often.

• ace402

Posted February 12, 2009 - 11:02 AM

The video I linked to can be found on No Toils website. Go to the video section and click on the "Dirt can hurt, Part 3" video at the bottom

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 12:31 PM

The video I linked to can be found on No Toils website. Go to the video section and click on the "Dirt can hurt, Part 3" video at the bottom

I've seen that. And it is a typically slanted piece of promotional work. But that wasn't what I meant. The source I can't link to is the source info on the study I cited, not the link you posted. I have no notes as to where it was, but it appeared to me to be a well conducted study of the matter.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.