newbie: Trail tool/spares advice please

3 replies to this topic
  • codlord

Posted July 29, 2002 - 02:22 PM

I am a recent first-time WR owner :) and relatively new to off-road motorbiking - I would like to know from people with a bit of experience the kinds of tools and spares I should have with me in the following circumstances:
a) when actually out riding trails.
:D when going away for a weekend riding trip (with truck).

What kind of things may save me a long walk in the future?

Any help or links to information appreciated.

• racemile

Posted July 29, 2002 - 03:06 PM

I carry plugs, and all the tools to change it, a little duct tape, and some thing to fix flats. If you carry fix a flat or tubes and tools to do the changes on the trail. Some folks carry the co2 cartridges with the tubes.

You can get into carrying survival gear also, but, this is a personal preference thing. It also depends on wether or not you ride alone. If you do you have to be prepared for a lot more circumstances.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Topic: essentials for tool kit?

[ July 30, 2002: Message edited by: Rich in Orlando ]

• Gee

Posted July 31, 2002 - 10:48 AM

A spare spark plug is mandatory on a WR, once they foul your done. Bring all the tools needed to change the plug.
My fanny pack has:
99cent rain poncho
space blanket
small candle
camelback bite valve
cell phone
first aid kit with serious pain killers, bandages..etc.
toilet paper
misc tools - small scotts ratchet and sockets
buddy tow strap
power bars and candy
I run IRC V33 tires, which I've ridden flat for over 40 miles back to the truck. Dunlop 756 don't hold up as well, 10 miles of riding it flat and the tire was coming apart.
In the truck I keep spare tubes, tire irons, spare levers, JB weld, slime, tire pump, second set of riding gear for day two if it rains on day one.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.