Motoman, EGO, other suspension experts, I have my forks apart need you opinions

3 replies to this topic
  • armourbl

Posted July 29, 2002 - 10:34 AM

First off,
Thank you Motoman393 and Ego. With your help I was able to take apart my forks this past weekend. I have lots of fun stories to tell you all, but I need some advice first...

You may remember, I've already put the 426 springs in my WR250. Forks .46, Shock 5.2. Now I'm installing the stock 426 vavles.

Here are my shim stacks. I need to know if you all think that this is correct. YZ426 valve piston, 2-stage compression stack.. () = quantity, mm = diameter. Listed in the order installed...

Slow speed stack
(2) 24mm
(1) 22mm
(1) 20mm
(1) 16mm
(1) 11mm

High speed stack
(3) 24mm
(1) 22mm
(1) 20mm
(1) 18mm
(1) 16mm
(1) 14mm
(1) 13mm
(1) 12mm
(2) 11mm
(1) 18mm

Dampening. Mid-valve converted to Check-valve.
(2) 27mm
(4) 24mm
(1) 12mm
(1) 19mm
(1) 18mm
(1) 16mm
(1) 14mm
(3) 11mm

I need to know if I have the orders correct. I tried to add a consistant amount of shims to allow the retaining nut to seat flush on the threads.

For the compression stack I tried to use Race Tech's recommendations as to what order to put the shims. On the dampening stack I just tried to use the same order that the stock valves stack had, but added a few more shims to make up the space created by converting the mid-valve.

Do I have it right? Forks are still apart until I can get some kind of confirmation that I have the shim stacks correct.

• armourbl

Posted July 29, 2002 - 06:19 PM

Please respond to the YZ426 post on this subject. There is a lot more information there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted July 29, 2002 - 07:53 PM

Ego i didnt know you were such suspension expert.i guess when you posted the topic asking advice about changing swingarm bearing it was just to test the rest of us backyard mechanics.when your done helping armoubl. could you help me?i think my toilet seat needs to be re-valved.for the past couple days ive been bottoming out hard on landing after going large.i need your advice as soon as possible. i really have urge to air it out lately[actually ever since i ate that super burrito with x/hot sauce yesterday.]hurry i feel bad get off coming soon.

• bman

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:14 PM

I'm prairie dogging here Style and have a launch date I have to keep. Let me know if you get help. Go big or don't go at all!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.