Brake help. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

14 replies to this topic
  • yamaha 422

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:19 PM

How do back brakes work? I was at the track and all of a sudden they went weak. Well I thought it was the master cyclinder so I ordered one. I put a brand new one on and it did not work. The brakes would bleed out the way they should but it would not move the piston out of the caliper. There was no leakage any where around the piston either. I will tell you I have a caliper coming by the end of the week. What else could it be? Please help. My wife is going out of town next weekend and I want to ride all weekend.

• yzinger6

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:31 PM

they work the same way as front. do you have holes in the lines anywhere? are the levers firm when pulled? is there air in the lines? there could be a lot of factors here....

• yamaha 422

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:42 PM

I guess the line is ok. I don't have any leaks anywear in the back brake system. When I bleed them I also look through the sight hole and don't see any air bubbles that would lead me to belive that there are leaks. I have got two weeks before the season starts here in our region.

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:42 PM

I guess the line is ok. I don't have any leaks anywear in the back brake system. When I bleed them I also look through the sight hole and don't see any air bubbles that would lead me to belive that there are leaks. I have got two weeks before the season starts here in our region.

Order a new line and a rebuild kit that includes the piston. Get the factory stuff, not aftermarket. You already purchased the most expensive. The great thing is that it will all be new. Wes

• FinchFan194

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:47 PM

How old is the bike? If it is newer you probably aren't bleeding properly. I know how to do but don't have the finess with words a pix that others do on here. I would start by looking in your owners manual or on thumpertalk.

• yamaha 422

Posted February 11, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Ok here we go. I can adjust the pedal all the way out so my pedal will start at the Yamaha on the clutch lever and it will work ok. It will slow it down on the stand while free spinning. But when I put the pedal where I like it, it does not work. Someone said something like pulling a vacum on it. What will that do?

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 07:21 PM

And where is it that you like it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha 422

Posted February 11, 2009 - 07:30 PM

I like my brake pedal level with the foot peg + or - 5mm. Please help. I don't want it up by the Yamaha on the cover.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2009 - 08:29 PM

The adjustment of the pedal height should have nothing to do with how the brake operates unless you lower it so much that it hits something before it can apply pressure at the caliper. How far does the pedal travel before it applies the brakes?

• yamaha 422

Posted February 12, 2009 - 03:55 AM

Bottoms out on frame.The little stop on the side of the pedal does. I guess I still have air. I pushed fluid backwards through it. It did hlp it some. I have a charge account down at the local Honda shop. I will bring it in Friday if I don't figure it out today. I need it ready before next weekend. The first race of the year before the next one in about a month. That one is the first LL.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 09:00 AM

The rear brake line can hold a bubble the size of a golf ball right at the fitting where the banjo bolt is. Fill the reservoir. Loosen this a little, push the pads back a bit 'til fluid comes out, then while it's still loose, press the pedal down a little way, then tighten the fitting before you release. Recheck the reservoir.

• yamaha 422

Posted February 12, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Banjo at the caliper or the res? Or both?

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2009 - 12:53 PM

At the reservoir.

• paul_arc

Posted February 12, 2009 - 01:14 PM

pull the rear wheel off and squeeze the brakes a bunch untill the pads are firmly touching each other then spread it some with the flat blade screw driver and put the wheel back on and see if that helps

• yamaha 422

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:43 PM

I got it fixed. I brought it to my sponser. They put a pnumatic vacum pump on it. Was fixed in about ten min.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.