New 08 yzf450 won't start after break in oil change.

6 replies to this topic
  • slinger09

Posted February 10, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hey guys, I'm knew to this thread and new to the world of 4 stroke dirt bikes. Last weekend I bought a new 08 yami 450. I went for my break in ride and today changed the oil and went to a SS oil filter. Problem is the bike will not start. I have kicked the hell out of it and it just will not fire up. Could the plug be fouled and be the cause? I have been out of the world of dirtbikes for quite a while. I used to ride 2 strokes when I was younger, and have just been riding the street for many years now. I guess it would be sufficient to say that my technical knowledge is a little lacking with these modern bikes.

What is the best way to remove the spark plug. I have unclipped the connector but how do you get the cap off the plug. I don't want to start yankin on anything and break something. The manual does not give a detailed description of this, it just says "remove plug and inspect". Guess they assume we all have at least that much knowledge.

So any advice to help out a newbie? Having a brand new bike that won't start is killing me! Any other tips on brand new bike setup would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

• DBMX 925

Posted February 10, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Pulling the tank is the easiest way to get sparky out. You should've gotten a tool when you bought the bike for plug removal, put a 14 mm on the end and out comes the plug. Is it cold out? Mine wouldn't start when it was cold till I jetted it. When cold I give mine 3 twists of the throttle, choke and kick 3 times. She is usually running by then. Good luck!

• slinger09

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:26 PM

No its not cold out, I am in Houston its probably in the 60s right now. Let me rephrase the part about the spark plug. Does the cap just pull off? I can get the spark plug out once I get the cap off. I have applied a little pressure on the cap but it feels like its on pretty good. Maybe I'm just being a little over cautious.

Do I really need to worry about the plug being the cause? I mean it is a brand new bike. I don't understand what the problem could be. It just will not start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank_z28

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Look at your gas valve. Happened to me a few time, and i feeled retarded afterward :lol:

• slinger09

Posted February 10, 2009 - 04:56 PM

Nope, dats not it.

• yamaha6j

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:43 PM

Pull the plug out and rest it on the motor and kick to see if you have spark. The coil wire cap is on good and you will have to use some twisting and pressure to pull off the plug. Does it have spark ?

• FinchFan194

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:58 PM

No its not cold out, I am in Houston its probably in the 60s right now. Let me rephrase the part about the spark plug. Does the cap just pull off? I can get the spark plug out once I get the cap off. I have applied a little pressure on the cap but it feels like its on pretty good. Maybe I'm just being a little over cautious.

Do I really need to worry about the plug being the cause? I mean it is a brand new bike. I don't understand what the problem could be. It just will not start.

You really gotta pull hard to get that plug cap off you won't break it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.