Considering going to a YZ....

25 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted February 13, 2009 - 12:52 PM

I have a 07 WR 450 with a YZ suspension. I love the bike but it is heavy. I just rode the KTM 08's 450, 505 and the 530, my buddy own's the KTM dealership in Carson City, NV. They are so worth checking out the 505 is a rocket ship as well as the 450 and the 530 is a great all around bike. I have had a blue bike sence 1976 but my 07 might be the last. Can you say 25 pounds lighter and race ready. Jeff S

Really? Is KTM putting skidplates and handguards on their bikes now?

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 13, 2009 - 01:29 PM

Not to mention a race ready WR usually means you have removed the AIS system, snorkel, pea shooter, headlight assembly and ODO / computer 5lbs maybe and no cost:busted:

Comparing a WR450 and 300 XC-W is blue berries to oranges anyway:p

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 13, 2009 - 05:14 PM

No. But they did put a race ready suspension on... :lol: Jeff S

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted February 14, 2009 - 08:38 AM

No. But they did put a race ready suspension on... :lol: Jeff S

Never spent much time on a KTM but I can testify that the WR suspension is definitely NOT race ready:banghead:

• Bamster

Posted February 15, 2009 - 06:11 AM

I should mention, I only trail ride, no track/racing.
Conditions? All over the map, rock, beaches, mud, dirt, tight stuff, fire roads, secondary dirt roads, everything except baja/desert (I'm in New Brunswick, Canada, on the Atlantic coast.

The 2 BIGGEST factors are weight, and absolutly no need to mod.

If you buy a yz you would first need to quiet it down as it is really loud.
Next you would need a flywheel weight unless you like stalling in the tight stuff.
Last the suspenders are pretty stiff on the yz for the riding you do, you might not be happy with it.
Would a YZ seat and tank not make your WR more rider friendly.
When I had my WR400 this was the best mod I did but the stock tank and seat was horrible compared compared to the one on the WR450.

Or just buy an XC or XC-W and be done with it.

• johnnyjeep

Posted February 15, 2009 - 07:19 PM

sounds to me he would like the big bore smoker from service honda. Light and a rocket ship.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.