Front sprocket nut

11 replies to this topic
  • durzer

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:59 AM

Can't budge it!
Applied some heat of small torch, back brake on and wedged against the wall with an extended socket wrench and nothing budges.

It is a normal thread and not a left handed thread isn't it?

Gonna have to get a grinder on it otherwise :)

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 09, 2009 - 11:06 AM

No, it's your run-of-the-mill right handed thread nut.

Got an impact driver?
Better still a rattle-gun (air impact driver).

They should loosen it.

Greg

• acarter92

Posted February 09, 2009 - 12:40 PM

Lots of leverage and some WD-40 should get it loose, or an impact wrench as said above, if that don't get it off then break out the grinder.

Austin

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted February 09, 2009 - 01:31 PM

soak it in wd-40 and a breaker bar. (if impact doesn't work)

i would try that before you broke out the grinder.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:11 PM

Rattle Gun (Impact gun) I have a Milwaukee electric one and it is by far one of the most used tools I have.... not on the bike much but just had to replace hubs on the truck this weekend and the job took half the time with it:thumbsup:

Anyway, a rattle gun will have that nut off in about 2.5 seconds:ride:

• WR450FGreg

Posted February 09, 2009 - 11:03 PM

Rattle Gun (Impact gun) I have a Milwaukee electric one and it is by far one of the most used tools I have

I'm with you Don.
I reckon my rattle gun was the best $100 I ever spent.
Man, does it save some heartache!

Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dl19

Posted February 22, 2009 - 05:24 PM

Don't use WD-40. Glazes and creates a mess in the future. Use JB Blaster or Kroil and let it soak over night. Impact gun will take it right off. Should never need to grind it off. Anti-seize it back on and you should never have a problem in the future.

• nitronaf

Posted February 22, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I just put the bike in gear get on the right side hold the rear brake down with a foot. Reach over the bike with a breaker bar and a 3 foot pole and she comes off real easy

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:40 PM

use wd-40 it will get into the threads and loosen up whatever is holding it in. works fro rusted bolts too

• doctorchopper

Posted April 03, 2009 - 04:51 AM

you would be better off using a penetrating oil rather than wd-40. Wd-40 is not a penetrating oil the wd stands for water displacement. Soak it over night and get it nice and hot with a heat gun, not a torch, someone probably put red threadlock on it.

• Summit

Posted April 03, 2009 - 06:54 AM

you would be better off using a penetrating oil rather than wd-40

I agree, wd is not bad but a real penetrating oil just works better.

• ARyder

Posted April 03, 2009 - 09:34 AM

Isn't there a locking tab on the washer behind the nut that is folder over onto the nut to keep it from moving. If this wasn't straightened the nut isn't going anywhere.

Just a thought...on my 636 I forgot out this tab and after bending it back, the electric impact got it off very quickly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.