The Dreaded Bog

13 replies to this topic
  • Zeak

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:11 AM

I know this has been discussed ad-nauseum, but I’m stuck. I just picked up a ’06 WR450 which I believe has all the free mods (air box, gray wire, throttle stop, and exhaust pea shooter.

The previous owned said it had been re-jetted also (whether it was correct is undetermined). The bike still has the bog just when I open the throttle and makes it impossible to just “cruise”. It’s more like it misses real bad. Doesn’t matter what gear I’m in. I read in the FAQ about a TPS. Could this possibly be it? Can I disconnect it like the grey wire?

I was following the kids yesterday and it was no fun. I either had to be on the gas or off. This is so flipping annoying. :)

Any suggestions? I’m a decent mechanic, but carb tuning is a bit out of my league.

Thanks

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:19 AM

I got rid of my bog by getting a yz needle, new leak jet,new main jet, quickshot2, and a FMF Q4. I have an '06. The JD Jet kit didn't work for me. I tried many variations many times. The headaches with it out weigh the small gain in power.

• Zeak

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:42 AM

What sizes did you use?

Thanks

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:43 AM

1) pull the carb and figure out what jets are in it.

2) what is your normal temp and elivation that you ride?

3) my guess is you will need to get a 40 leak jet and the o-ring mod and this will fix your bog...:)

• kskyles

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:44 AM

check out the jetting tutorial in the stickies. the '06 has easy carb access. open up the carb and see what your current needle settings are, then look at your jet sizes.

then check out the jetting database for your year bike and elevation to get a starting point.

the bog can be a couple of things. some people have gotten rid of the bog with a size 40 leak jet. some folks have had to find a different needle height. either way, start basic with the jet sizes.

also, open up the manual and see if you TPS is adjusted correctly. it's pretty easy to adjust and bring in to spec.

• Zeak

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanks very much.:) :lol:

• Zeak

Posted February 09, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Oh, quick question. Do I need to remove the carb to do the jet changes or any mods?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 09, 2009 - 09:02 AM

Oh, quick question. Do I need to remove the carb to do the jet changes or any mods?

no but on the steel framed bikes its take all of 5 minutes to pull the carb...:)

• chipwich

Posted February 09, 2009 - 10:19 AM

You can change most jets by loosening the clamps and rotating the carb a little if you have the right tools. A 6mm socket will come in handy if memory serves.

BTW, you can just disconnect the TPS. That solved the steady rpm stuttering on my 04. I've got a multimeter now and going to check it on my new 08 ASAP. I runs pretty good as is with the GYTR AIS kit though.

• Zadok

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:49 AM

no but on the steel framed bikes its take all of 5 minutes to pull the carb...:lol:

:worthy: :banghead: :busted:
Damn 09 model.....I like the aluminum frame, but it takes
just a "wee bit" longer than 5 minutes to pull the carb.:lol:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:17 AM

:lol: :worthy: :banghead:
Damn 09 model.....I like the aluminum frame, but it takes
just a "wee bit" longer than 5 minutes to pull the carb.:busted:

you are correct but in reality, its not all that bad...especially if you get your jetting done right the first time:thumbsup:

• Zadok

Posted February 10, 2009 - 07:37 AM

you are correct but in reality, its not all that bad...especially if you get your jetting done right the first time:thumbsup:

"IF" you get it right the first time. I think I may have gotten lucky
though and have done just that. The bike seemed to do just fine
this past weekend on the trails. So hopefully no issues.

One small issue late in the afternoon though. I was riding fairly
slow behind my twin 12 year old twin sons, when the bike seemed
to "stumble" a bit. I down shifted to 1st and kind of hammered it.
Seemed just okay, not great. Did it a couple more times. Not sure
if the bike was just getting too hot, or what.

Any ideas?

• Charles De Mar

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:45 AM

I got rid of my bog by getting a yz needle, new leak jet,new main jet, quickshot2, and a FMF Q4. I have an '06. The JD Jet kit didn't work for me. I tried many variations many times. The headaches with it out weigh the small gain in power.

I ordered the needle that came on a stock 05 YZ450

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:40 AM

off topic, sorry. If the free mods and an uprated exhuast where fitted to an 07 wr, then would fitting the jets from an 07 yz work? reason I ask, is it would be a killer $$$ getting the bike properly jetted on a rolling road.

ta

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.