Is this better than what I already have?

12 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:58 PM

First off, I have an 07 450, I'm 6'4 250 of rippling muscle...well 6'4, 250.:) My buddy just bought a 07 450 from a guy that had enzo built suspension, however the guy was only like 180. My friend has offered me the enzo suspension for free. Would it be worth taking the enzo suspension even though it wasn't built for me? It's not as if the stock suspension was built for me anyways. Also would the enzo be better if I put the proper springs for my weight vs. new springs in the stock suspension for my weight. Thanks guys

• FinchFan194

Posted February 08, 2009 - 08:04 PM

It is definately worth it. If it has subtanks and all the goodies it can be close to $2,000 to get the work done. You should be able to to get springs for your weight just below $200 sounds like a good trade off to me. Does your YZF have stock springs currently? If so the springs are probably stiffer than stock if the previous ownere was racing and hauling ass he would use stiffer than normal springs.

• jcolborn48

Posted February 08, 2009 - 08:38 PM

Yeah my bike has the stock springs, no sub tanks on the enzo, the original guy had it set up for motocross, I ride mostly desert and some track, but you kind of confirmed what I already thought. So I should be in pretty good shape if I take the suspension and then put new springs, right.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 08, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Yeah my bike has the stock springs, no sub tanks on the enzo, the original guy had it set up for motocross, I ride mostly desert and some track, but you kind of confirmed what I already thought. So I should be in pretty good shape if I take the suspension and then put new springs, right.

it will be close enough in my opinion

• hillclimbguy

Posted February 08, 2009 - 08:59 PM

Do it.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 09, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Your bike is setup stock for a 180 pound rider, if you like that setup I would just trade up and give it a try before buying new springs. It will most likely be stiffer and more progressive than stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ace402

Posted February 09, 2009 - 02:13 PM

It depends on how the suspension was set up by Enzo. If it was set up for a motocross rider racing the A class and you ride desert in the novice then it wouldn't be a good swap.

The way I understand it: Springs keep the suspension in the right part of the stroke and valving determines how it reacts in a certain part of the stroke.

Therefore, it comes down to your riding conditions and ability as to if it is a good swap or not.

The stock valving with correct springs for your weight might be better than Enzo valving with correct for your weight.

The rights springs are the first line of business though. If you're really fast you can go one step stiffer than the normal "correct" spring or if you ride woods, trails, or desert you can normally go one rate softer.

For instance, I have a 2005 YZ450F with Pro-Action suspension set up for a 180lb privateer. That's how the bike was when I bought it. It has one step stiffer than stock springs front and rear.

Let me tell you, it beats me up!! I race the C class and only weigh 145lbs in street clothes.

The springs are way to stiff and the valving is way to aggressive. I don't slam into braking bumps nearly as fast as the previous owner...valving.

I'm going to get the correct springs for my weight before the season starts and hopefully that will help a bit.

Although, Craig Decker from Enzo is one of our "local" guys and I've heard nothing but good things about his work. I'm going to get my suspension reworked by him when I can afford it.

Also, how long has it been since you have change the fluids in your suspension? That can also make a huge difference.

I'm not against you doing the swap, I just want to make sure it's a step in the right direction.

• jcolborn48

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:09 AM

^^^^
That's just the type of info I was looking for. It has been over a year since I have changed the fluids in my forks. I guess I don't want to change suspension just because of the name, I want it to work better. I guess the analogy would be giving a soccer mom a ferrari, sure it's a nice car, but it doesn't do her any good when you 5 kids to tote around:bonk: Enzo suspension would be nice, but I just want to make sure it will be beneficial to me.

• ace402

Posted February 10, 2009 - 10:55 AM

When you change the oil in your forks I would also recommend changing the bushings as well. In my experience they have a tendency to get marred up when you separate the fork tubes.

• Dp2boy

Posted February 10, 2009 - 05:01 PM

I just had my forks serviced; fluids changed, all seals and rubber replaced and the fork tubes trued and they are actually better than when they were new.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:44 PM

^^^^
That's just the type of info I was looking for. It has been over a year since I have changed the fluids in my forks. I guess I don't want to change suspension just because of the name, I want it to work better. I guess the analogy would be giving a soccer mom a ferrari, sure it's a nice car, but it doesn't do her any good when you 5 kids to tote around:bonk: Enzo suspension would be nice, but I just want to make sure it will be beneficial to me.

No offense to the other guy but I have ENZO suspension not ProAction. It came on the bike I bought and it is setup for motocross and it is way better than stock you can always change your oil weight and level, but trust me you want those "ENZO" internals. The only thing that wouldn't be worth it is all that Enzo did was rebuild the forks and didn't upgrade with all of their performance parts. That would be like trading apples for apples.

• birdland101

Posted February 10, 2009 - 08:48 PM

do the enzo, you can always upgrade springs and you should have better valving etc.

• husqy360

Posted February 10, 2009 - 09:10 PM

try your buddy bike see if you like it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.