Oil from Breather Tube

6 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:48 PM

My bike (06 YZ450F) left about a half a teaspoon of oil on my bike stand from the breather tube after riding yesterday, is this too much? It has never done it before that I have seen.

• Family Man

Posted February 08, 2009 - 06:17 PM

You most likely overfilled your oil by that much that last time you changed it. Wont hurt anything.

• BBrown626

Posted February 08, 2009 - 06:39 PM

While you shouldn't be concerned with the small amount left on the stand, you probably left more on the track or trail. What causes the increased vapor? I would imagine that it is air blowing through the valve stem seals. Isn't that the only air flowing through the valve cover aside from expansion due to heating?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wes Woodin

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:02 PM

My bike (06 YZ450F) left about a half a teaspoon of oil on my bike stand from the breather tube after riding yesterday, is this too much? It has never done it before that I have seen.

I have a little too. Just check your oil often and take note. You should be ok however.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:42 PM

What causes the increased vapor? I would imagine that it is air blowing through the valve stem seals. Isn't that the only air flowing through the valve cover aside from expansion due to heating?

No air or gases in particular will blow through the guides. It's more likely rings allowing combustion gas into the crankcase.

But it may be nothing more this time than an extra hard ride, or a bit too much oil.

• matt4x4

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:36 AM

What Gray said - besides - your top end is wide open to the bottom end, so there won't ever be any extra pressure developing at the head.

Most will dribble a bit after riding, normal vaporization (misting) of the oil will cause some of it to deposit inside the tube as it breathes positive - if the deposits make it past the highest point, they come down the tube and exit the tube.

What's nice about that is you KNOW you're getting oil delivery to the top end.

• Troutman

Posted February 09, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the information. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become excessive. Bike still runs like new, I have had zero problems with many hours at the track, all hail the mighty 06 :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.