2008 Ktm 450 sx-f timing is off. help please.....

6 replies to this topic
  • Kopec

Posted February 08, 2009 - 04:28 PM

I have 2008 450 sxf : I am trying to figure out how to make correctly timing on my bike.I change piston on my KTM and now doesn't want to start.Engine turns over and some time flashing short blue fire from exhaust .....:)

• Dave Hopkins

Posted February 09, 2009 - 09:34 AM

You should not be inside that engine without the shop manual!! And can not assemble without the KTM cam indexing tool, then;
Crank needs to be rotated so piston is at TDC, crank needs to be indexed there.
You need to do a leak down test to see if you bent valves turning it over with cams out of time, if it leaks replace valves, if not proceed
Cams need to come out, the bolts that hold the gears on removed, gears pressed off, then put back on loose!
Reassemble, install the cam indexing tool
then tighten the bolts that hold the cams

• Kopec

Posted February 10, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi on the KTM dealer is same or better Repair Manual..?

http://www.jescoracing.com/tech.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VilleKTM

Posted February 12, 2009 - 06:42 AM

PM me your private e-mail and i´ll hook you up.:lol:

• Kopec

Posted February 12, 2009 - 10:42 PM

RE5suzuki@yahoo.com

• Titus Brothers Racing

Posted February 14, 2009 - 12:58 PM

This engine is timed by setting the relationship if the piston at TDC to flats machined onto the cams. It is the easiest motor to time ever. It does not have anything to do with marks on/or position of the chain gears. It can be done with out the KTM timing tool.

If you do not understand the cam/head assembly, take it to your KTM tech.

If you do not have the timing tool, set the motor to TDC and use the screw to lock it. You will need a thin perfect straight edge such as a machinist scale. Place the straight edge across the cam flats and assemble the timing chain and gears. The KTM tool holds the head in time with the block. The flats must stay perfect under the straight edge. If you did not remove the cam gears, the gears will align on the chain exactly as it was before you disassembled the motor.

You should inspect your valves and make sure you did not bend anything on your previous assembly.

If this does not make sense, Take it to a KTM tech.:lol: !

TBR

• mauricio

Posted February 15, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Thing is, the cams will always move a bit when you torque the gear bolts. I ended up making my own cam indexing tool from 1/4" steel. You cut two pieces and drill them out to fit onto the cam yoke bolts. What you basically do is to bolt on a straightedge to fit over the flats on the cams and prevent them from moving.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 250 XC-F 2014 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XC-F 2014
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 350 XCF-W 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 350 XCF-W 2015
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

KTM 250 XC-F 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XC-F 2015
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

OK, here is what I have learned... by Kah Ran Nee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  41 replies
Reviews

KTM 250 XCF-W 2015 by Chris.GVS

KTM 250 XCF-W 2015
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.