2000 wr 400 shifting problems

4 replies to this topic
  • wr junky

Posted February 08, 2009 - 02:16 PM

Last time out riding my bike would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. I usually dont shift w/ the clutch--pulled the clutch in still would not shift. I down-shifted to 1st gear and tryed it again and it was fine. I did this 3 more times throughout the day between 2nd and 3rd. Fluid level is fine. Any ideas about what the problem might be??

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:38 PM

Is the problem that the shifter moves, and feels as if it has shifted, but 3rd does not engage, or is it that the shifter moves, but does not feel as if it is moving anything, or, is it that the shifter can't be moved up from 2nd?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr junky

Posted February 08, 2009 - 06:02 PM

The shifter cannot be moved it feels stuck only when pulling up.It feels fine when down shifting.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:25 PM

Something is preventing the shift cam from rotating into the next position. There can be a number of causes for this. You may be able to find and fix the cause by opening the right side and removing the clutch to observe the operation of the mechanism. If you can see no reason for it, the cause may be a damaged shift fork, shaft, or other internal trans problem that would require splitting the cases.

• matt4x4

Posted February 09, 2009 - 06:48 AM

If it is the shift cam, it's an easy fix:
just look for damage to this part (in behind the gears) and replace if required. The 2T YZ's seemed to have issues with the bearing type.
My kid smoked the one on his Kawi and it would interfere ocasionally stopping him from shifting.
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.