07 YZ450F Silver/Gray Oil??

11 replies to this topic
  • YZThumper07

Posted February 08, 2009 - 09:58 AM

While checking my oil level before a ride i noticed my engine oil was silver or gray in color. Before i rode i changed out the oil and blew the filter out with compressed air (didn't have a replacement filter at the time) *oops* After the change the oil was still Silver in color... The only reason i can think of is that a week earlier a went for a ride where my bike stalled in about a foot and 1/2 of water where it sat for a couple minutes before i could get it to start back. It came up to about 1/4 of the clutch cover.... Did i get water in my crank case or what other causes could there be?? Please Help! :)

• jimmydoorlocks

Posted February 08, 2009 - 10:40 AM

Try reading through this thread. Might be some of the same stuff.
http://www.thumperta...062#post7605062

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:38 AM

If you stalled in water and the breather tube was under water, then you probably pulled in water.

• YZThumper07

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:45 AM

That kit seems to be a suitable way to fix this problem..but would it be an easy and inexpensive alternative to just cut the breather hose at about the bottom of the radiator or so..this would keep the hose out of the water right??

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Water generally causes a milky, foamy slime to form in the oil. Silver grey is more likely evidence of a bearing failure, or some aluminum part being ground up.

• YZThumper07

Posted February 08, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Well now that you mention it..i would say it's milky and thin looking..not exactly a "silver or metallic" look My best guess is it DiD pull some water up into the valve cover hose because i kicked it about 30-40 times while it was in the water (yeah i was exhausted)..... Im going to get the engine hot (turn it off) then let it sit with the drain plugs out for a few hours then refill it with new oil..and repeat until i see the oil get back to the right consistency

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 08, 2009 - 12:35 PM

Well now that you mention it..i would say it's milky and thin looking..not exactly a "silver or metallic" look My best guess is it DiD pull some water up into the valve cover hose because i kicked it about 30-40 times while it was in the water (yeah i was exhausted)..... Im going to get the engine hot (turn it off) then let it sit with the drain plugs out for a few hours then refill it with new oil..and repeat until i see the oil get back to the right consistency

with every stroke of the kick starter, the breather draws air upward toward valve cover. So when under water, every kick drew water farther into motor.

• YZThumper07

Posted February 08, 2009 - 03:32 PM

MY oil is looking more like oil now..im going to change it one more time when i get the filter in a day or two..but here's how i re-routed the breather hose to make this less likely to happen again..(didn't have to cut the hose) I moved the two rubber retainers up as shown in picture..it exits back with the other drain hoses

Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 08, 2009 - 04:57 PM

no offense, but this kind of defeats the purpose. The hose is still only a foot off the ground and can still easily be submerged. I would just route the hose under the tank and into the top of the airbox, that way to get water in you would have to completely submerge the whole bike.

• YZThumper07

Posted February 08, 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yeah you're right..and that may be what i end up doing ..i was in a hurry and did this mod in about 5 min.. But like i said, i wanted to make it LESS likely to happen. The hose ends about an inch off frame in that pic, it doesn't go down near as far as the other drain tubes, so it actually exits 8" higher than stock.This also makes sure it has a downhill path to travel all the way so no oil builds up. I don't make a habit out of submerging my bike anyways, only when necessary..

I know one thing though..next time my bike stalls in water..i WILL pull it out...THEN start it

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 08, 2009 - 07:11 PM

Water generally causes a milky, foamy slime to form in the oil. Silver grey is more likely evidence of a bearing failure, or some aluminum part being ground up.

Precisely. If you run the bike a long time without changing the oil, it will get progressively worse. I use magnetic oil plugs and change the oil AND filter every 3-4 hours. Change the filter and oil and run it. Change it after that run and do it again to try flush it. The objective is to try and clear it out. I would definitely get a magnetic oil plug. I use GYTR. http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• acehole

Posted February 11, 2009 - 04:38 PM

Could Be Coolant In The Oil

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.