Stranger Needs XR Jetting

8 replies to this topic
  • ThumpDR

Posted February 10, 2003 - 12:55 PM

As you can see from my signature I ride a DRZ400 but I'm helping a buddy out with his 1991 XR600. It is bone stock and lethargic. Since he is not technical I told him I'd open the airbox up, add a pipe and re-jet it for him.

I have the White Brothers Pro-Meg pipe picked out and I was wondering if anyone here has the jetting recipe that will work best for riding at 0'-4500'. I searched the archives but couldn't find a combo for this pipe and altitude.

Thanks for your help.

• qadsan

Posted February 10, 2003 - 02:45 PM

This link should help you out :).

• ThumpDR

Posted February 11, 2003 - 12:27 PM

Thanks. I called Baja Designs and they set me up with the 68 Pilot and a seemingly huge 165 main. Is that Main too big for this bike? The Scott Summers site says to use a 155. Who should I go with on this?

• qadsan

Posted February 11, 2003 - 03:04 PM

I would think the 165 would be too rich. I would try both a 155 and a 158 and see which one works best for you. They should be pretty close to what you need. As for the pilot jet, a 65 or 68 should be about right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumpDR

Posted February 12, 2003 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone have a diagram or link to a diagram of this carburetor? I would appreciate it big time!

• qadsan

Posted February 12, 2003 - 05:51 PM

Go to and create a free account. You'll be able to view complete diagrams of your bike including a breakdown of your carb.

• 57MPH

Posted February 13, 2003 - 07:45 PM

You can also find the parts microfilm...just like the ones they use at the local Honda shop at

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 13, 2003 - 10:26 PM

I run a 70 pilot with 158 main, needle in center position and 2 and 1/4 turns out with Uni filter,airbox opened up and stock exhaust with no engine mods. Over 4000' elevation I switch to a 155 main. Hope this helps.

• ThumpDR

Posted February 14, 2003 - 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone. You red guys are alright! :)

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.